Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RoatanBill
    Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I have several stainless steel bowls to repair. They all developed the same failure - the registration supports that align the bowl on the mixer were spot welded on and the spot welds fail after about a year of use. These bowls are $400 each.

I repaired one using purge gas on the inside. The outside supports are now firmly welded and the inside has no sugaring. However, due to the .050 thin metal, the inside got a bit lumpy (sag). I can polish that out but I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Would silicon bronze or aluminum bronze be a better approach, requiring less heat and, I suspect, no internal deformation? I think it would hold up better than the 6 approx 1/8" spot welds the factory used and I'm welding the exterior perimeter of the support where the spot welds were done in 2 rows of 3 welds all about 1/2" apart towards the inside of the support.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Another possibility is to shape a piece of aluminium or copper to that of the bowl and clamp or block it in place as a backer. This will support and prevent sag or over penetration and still still protect against sugaring if done right.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You could also tig braze it with 45% silver.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ignatz200
    Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm

What about drilling holes through those alignment pieces in the same places as those spot welds.
You could then reattach them using the plug weld technique.