It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm Advanced search

Silverware art tips/questions

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Silverware art tips/questions

Postby Farmwelding » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:51 pm

So I recently figured out a hopefully cool way to make a little cash while working on my weldering skills or at least put a smile on a face pretty cheaply for me. I bought some silverware of various sizes and designs recently at an estate sale to make some art. I only had one day to weld some stuff together so I made a pen holder and a couple of tulips for my mother. I had one trouble though-i had a lack of proper filler rods. My school only has 3/32" 308L filler and that wasn't going to work so hot on .045" silverware. So here is my question: what size and type would be best for welding silverware. Would brazing be okay because thinking about it makes it appear in my head as a cool accent especially on the flowers. Also, are there any tips for welding this stuff. Once I get back to having a tig welder I'm gonna get a couple of cheap baby vise grips to hold them.l for tacking and will have access to a variety of filler rods at tech school since I'm gonna get bored up there pretty quick. I also figured out the easiest way to weld them is lap joints.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: Silverware art tips/questions

Postby Poleframer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:15 pm

I'd say silver solder them with an OA torch, or braze and finish. You are a welder, all processes should be at your fingertips, oxy welding, brazing, or soldering should be choices you can make as well as welding.
Poleframer
Workhorse

Postby ignatz200 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:53 am

If this stuff is actual silverware (coin silver, sterling or such) then simple order some drawn silver wire from a jeweler's supply house and use that as the filler. Silver wire is available in all sorts of gauges, so you have your choice of diameter. ;)
ignatz200

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:27 am

ignatz200 wrote:If this stuff is actual silverware (coin silver, sterling or such) then simple order some drawn silver wire from a jeweler's supply house and use that as the filler. Silver wire is available in all sorts of gauges, so you have your choice of diameter. ;)

it is all stainless steel silverware-no sterling or other silver type
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:15 am

.030 or .040 ss mig wire works great for small stuff.

Silicon bronze too if you want the colours to be different.

Since it's art I assume strength is not an issue.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 am

AndersK wrote:.030 or .040 ss mig wire works great for small stuff.

Silicon bronze too if you want the colours to be different.

Since it's art I assume strength is not an issue.

No strength is not a priority. Just so long as it holds together or in the case of the pen holder-two pens.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 pm

I vote for the sil bronze also, easy to use and looks good
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 pm

LtBadd wrote:I vote for the sil bronze also, easy to use and looks good

So what size silicon bronze is best for this thin of stainless and what amperage? Also, I forget is silicon bronze AC of DC- for polarity?
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
LtBadd wrote:I vote for the sil bronze also, easy to use and looks good

So what size silicon bronze is best for this thin of stainless and what amperage? Also, I forget is silicon bronze AC of DC- for polarity?

I'm guessing you could use .045 easily, maybe 1/16. I don't use this that often to pull a number out for you, try a test piece.

Weld parameters, click on Resources
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:25 am

I only have 1/16 and sometimes I find that a bit too much working with thin parts so go for .045 if you can.
Amps? Low enough not to melt base material high enough to melt the filler. Great answer right? :mrgreen:
AndersK
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding