Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Vulpine welder wrote: ...I've got other guys coming behind me giving them bad information, and as they would rather me stick to my job then teach other people I don't get to solve the problem.
Please don't interpret this wrong, but perhaps you should stay clear of this problem and focus on your responsibilities? If they aren't interested in correcting an issue they don't acknowledge exists, any amount of input will only alienate you from your peers/supervisors.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

If the tungsten is recessed then that is the problem. There should be 1/8 to 3/16 stick out. This keeps the heat outside the cup and prevents long arcing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I loved " the guys doing the welding are'nt actually welders " ! so what are they then ? I heard you can train a monkey to Mig weld but surely not Tig ? could be wrong I guess - they do have thumbs !
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

noddybrian wrote:I loved " the guys doing the welding are'nt actually welders " ! so what are they then ? I heard you can train a monkey to Mig weld but surely not Tig ? could be wrong I guess - they do have thumbs !
I put on my P.I. hat and did some poking around......here is the issue.....

they are monkeys tig welding!

No wonder he can't get anyone to listen!

:D
Last edited by Oscar on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Monkey mig welding-courtesy of student who I would have rather not had to teach tig welding but luckily I didn't have to teach mig welding.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Vulpine welder
    Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:06 pm

cj737,
Most of the time I stick to my own work but on occasion I get an opportunity to go back and talk with them. Try to actually teach them something about welding, but seeing as I'm still learning it's more like the blind leading the blind. They just told me they were having this problem and was trying to help them out. Try to learn something also. So thanks for all the input.
Warrenh,
You're right I'm still trying to learn. Got to start somewhere. What are somethings I could focus on to so I can ask questions in a better way? And learn to tig weld. That would be good.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Have the firm invest in a copy of this manual.

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-Tungsten-Arc ... 1566372062
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

We are all still learning. There was nothing wrong with the question. Sometimes you might have to add more details. As far as getting better at tig welding, learn to relax your torch hand. You need to be able to slide it and move it smoothly and tension kills that. Dont get too caught up in settings. I weld aluminum all day. The machine I prefer is a miller synch 351. It has ac balance and amps settings. Nothing else. I keep it at 400 amps. I couldnt tell you what amps I use for what. Watch your puddle and use the heat you need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

noddybrian wrote:I heard you can train a monkey to Mig weld
That's not what scares me...

http://i.imgur.com/QOdjW.jpg