Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Here's a pretty extensive de,onstration from a serious pro.
https://youtu.be/cWv3f7T-UXQ

Understand, I'm not advocating a DIYer pursue these excessive steps, but there's much to learn for "good habits" from his video. Such as how to, and how not to snap a tungsten. He certainly goes to great lengths to perfect his tungsten for his work, but not many need that QC for their welding. But it's a great demonstration of techniques and results.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, it is not making the white stuff anymore. But, for some reason, the tung. keeps getting really black. It welded fine for a few welds. Then, things went to hell. haha I just can not figure out, what happened.

I am going to say screw it for a couple of days. Also, the torch gets so freaking hot, like right away. It is the one that comes with the machine. I watched a video from Mr. Tig. He said the machine goes to 200. But, the torch goes to 150. I am not using that much power on the thing.

You know, maybe it is like Christine, but the welding machine version. :lol:
Last edited by Glowzinski on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glowzinski

I did find something though. Somehow, the dial on my flowmeter, was turned all the way up! That would explain a bunch of stuff. haha No clue how in the heck it happened.

It is odd though. It worked at first. Then, I would see a puddle, but it would have black stuff in it. I mean, I grinded the metal down. Then, used a wire brush. THEN, used acetone on it. So, it is not like it could be dirty.

I changed every part of the torch.

The only thing I can think it would be, from stuff I have read, is something in the line itself. I have not a clue how to clean it out.

It is really odd.

I already had it welded. But, I grinded it down, so I could put good looking weld marks on it. LOLOL How did that work out? Not so well. All I have to do, is weld the back of the left leg on. Then, the hair. I also need to figure out, what to do to make the thing stand up. Maybe a rectangle. Two of them. Coming, like, 6 inches out of the front and back at the bottom. Drill holes in them and take some rebar, bend it and use that.

If I had a hand brake (excuse to buy one maybe) I could just take two pieces of aluminum, bend one part, weld the bent up part to the front and back of the bottom legs and just drill holes in that.

I was supposed to have a pipe bender arrive by now from Northern Tool. But, they said they have not gotten them in yet and seem to not have an idea of when they will.

I also have a pneumatic planishing hammer from them, that says ships in 28 days at longest. No clue when I will get that.
Glowzinski

I just figured out, exactly what happened. My mom was reading about this tonight. She was telling me things. That, plus the stuff I have read in here were swirling through my mind. Then it hit me. So, first, that white color was in there. Then I saw the thing turned all the way up. I must have thought I was not getting enough gas. So I turned that up. Then, I grinded the aluminum. THAT is the cause of my inability to weld it now. I just got a cut off wheel that was in my tool thing. I could see it had been used for other grinds. It must have contaminated my aluminum. That would explain everything. So, I will go tomorrow and get some new, unused grinding discs. Actually, I just got a bunch.

I feel so much better now. Things make sense.