Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

I have a floor mounted magnifying glass similar to this I use for soldering circuit boards. I have been practicing TIG welding some .035 wall 1 inch stainless tube, I think I have all the settings and methods sorted out, now I'm just having a difficult time seeing the puddle and joint its so small. Has anyone TIG welded using one of these magnifying lens?

Do you think you might benefit from cheater lenses in your helmet if you're not already using them. I run 'em in mine and it makes a heck of a difference.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The only issue with any magnifier is that as the magnification increases, the focal length decreases. In other words a 4X magnifier needs to be half the distance to the object that a 2X magnifier needs to be. At some point you'll reach the point where the tig torch will be an obstacle and you won't be able to get the magnifier close enough because the tig torch is in the way. I've used cheaters in conjunction with my regular glasses and it helps, but it is still not optimum. Some say surgical loupes are the way to go, but good luck getting those under a helmet.

Now it has me wondering. Hmm.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Another vote for cheaters in the welding mask and/or cheaters on your face.

I always have cheater lens in my mask, sometimes also wear the cheater glasses too.

That magnifier would be in the way too often in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

After some quick research on cheater lenses they are the equivalent of the reading glasses I'm already wearing while welding. My vision is crisp and clear when welding that's not the issue, its how small the puddle and arc is even when in focus. I'll give my magnifying glass a try today and report back. For thicker materials my reading glasses are fine its just this low amp delicate welding of this thin tubing that's being a problem.

Coolidge wrote:I have a floor mounted magnifying glass similar to this I use for soldering circuit boards. I have been practicing TIG welding some .035 wall 1 inch stainless tube, I think I have all the settings and methods sorted out, now I'm just having a difficult time seeing the puddle and joint its so small. Has anyone TIG welded using one of these magnifying lens?
That kind of mag glass is difficult because if you're viewing thru it off centerline, the image tends to distort, and its sort of BIG.

This is made by SPI and available thru MSC

This is what I have used successfully for years.
This is what I have used successfully for years.
eye loupe 5x.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Attachments
the image quality is excellent
the image quality is excellent
eye loupe 1.jpg (13.99 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Richard
Website
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Coolidge wrote:After some quick research on cheater lenses they are the equivalent of the reading glasses I'm already wearing while welding. My vision is crisp and clear when welding that's not the issue, its how small the puddle and arc is even when in focus. I'll give my magnifying glass a try today and report back. For thicker materials my reading glasses are fine its just this low amp delicate welding of this thin tubing that's being a problem.
Yep, and more magnification allows you to get your head closer while making everything look bigger.

That's what happens for me when I use cheaters on my face combined with the one in the welding helmet.

Same result if I switch to just one set of higher power lenses.

Like when I use a 4.00, my head can be very close and the puddle and arc are bigger.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You might also find that switching to a Pyrex cup, especially the Fupa 12, is very beneficial. With it, you can run a much longer stick out, still get tremendous gas coverage, and see the actually weld puddle very well without obstructions from the alumina cup (if that's what you're using).

http://furickcup.com/product/fupa-12-kit/

Tried my magnifying stand, worked but just too in the way. I picked up a 2.25 Radnor cheater lens this afternoon, my Miller Infinity helmet comes with an adapter to attach it, going to give it a try this evening.