Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

My weld beads were grey, so I tried to figure out what was wrong. I noticed other welders weren't dipping the filler as often as I did. They appeared to be dipping maybe once per quarter inch, whereas I was probably dipping at least twice that often. When I tried to space it out, the welds got shinier.

Question: is this actually how it works? And does it vary with different thicknesses and metals?

It seems like placing my dips so close together made the torch move slowly and overheat the metal.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.

Chips O'Toole wrote:My weld beads were grey, so I tried to figure out what was wrong. I noticed other welders weren't dipping the filler as often as I did. They appeared to be dipping maybe once per quarter inch, whereas I was probably dipping at least twice that often. When I tried to space it out, the welds got shinier.

Question: is this actually how it works? And does it vary with different thicknesses and metals?

It seems like placing my dips so close together made the torch move slowly and overheat the metal.
How often the filler is feed into the puddle varies with material (ferrous or non ferrous) material thickness, joint design and probably a few other variables I'm not remembering. This is no "one way" Adapt and overcome :roll: Watching and learning is a good thing, but practice and find what works for you.
Richard
Website
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

About every 1/8" for me, or sometimes keep the tip in the puddle, or sometimes dip more often.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:About every 1/8" for me, or sometimes keep the tip in the puddle, or sometimes dip more often.
I don't do any specialty stuff just some basic stainless, carbon steel, and 6061 aluminum and I do it about every 1/8".
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:About every 1/8" for me, or sometimes keep the tip in the puddle, or sometimes dip more often.
I don't do any specialty stuff just some basic stainless, carbon steel, and 6061 aluminum and I do it about every 1/8".
As you build more stuff I think you'll find you use the same dip spacing often because it becomes comfortable and automatic.

Sometimes you need to do it different and that will become comfortable too.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Yeah I suppose you get a rythm and pattern and stick with it. I just didn't want to claim everything is the same seeing I haven't done other grades of aluminum or titanium and other specialty metals.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I tend to use the rod diameter as the guide: 1/16" rod gets a 1/16" travel, 1/8" rod gets a 1/8" travel and so on. But mostly it's regulated by what I "see" happening and not so much about the spacing. The faster you travel you faster you dip tends to be my guidance.