Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
44nsb
    Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

FilletWeldThroatDefect.jpg
FilletWeldThroatDefect.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 801 times
I'm a novice TIG welder. Practicing T welds. I dissected the weld but I didn't buff or etch. I need a critique. I'm finally at the point where I'm getting the arc deep into the throat. I check my work and occasionally I'm still finding a small weld gap in the throat. Sometimes I cut again and don't find the defect. I'm guessing my work is not totally consistent. Whose Is? Please tell me what you think one cut has a small defect at the throat the other doesn't. Is such a small defect really that important?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Is it critical? Yes if it's a structural weld. The lack of fusion and penetration is an issue under a code controlled weld. For your purposes, probably not since you welded both sides. But it is far more important to get it right than to depend upon "sliding past" a failure.

Takes a long time to be consistently good and I commend you for cutting sections regularly to check your work. It would be very educational for you to etch those too so you can see the actual penetration. Then, stop when the mistake is occurring and correct your puddle before competing. That's the key; to "see" and "read" a puddle so you adjust while welding to insure a proper weld.

The likely culprit of cause is adding rod too heavily for the penetration you've achieved. Slow your travel slightly and burn in the weld, then dip and travel. If you watch the leading edge you should see it fill the root before you add again. Takes a bit more visual focus on the puddle is all.
44nsb

Thanks for the critique. It was educational. I'm seeing some "key holing" in the leading edge of the puddle and that is probably a good indicator that the puddle is not getting into the throat. Slowing would help. Im still trying to do all of what you suggested but its not second nature yet. What about beveling? Or is that just a stop gap to doing it right.
cj737

Beveling is mostly used when the overall thickness is such that 100% penetration is really required. Your circumstance is purely "new to it". EVERYONE climbs this hill until they get enough hood time. Some of us mortals, still have the issue but have enough experience to see it happening, slow down, and correct it as we go. Only the Superhuman Welders on IG weld perfectly every time. I still dress 1 leg at a time and no cape involved. You? ;)
44nsb

No cape here! In retrospectI have noticed when my weld puddles was flowing as it should and when it wasn't (keyholing). Mid weld I didn't put much stock in it but now I'm thinking it was significant. When the puddle "acted" right I was at higher amps. To make that work I know I have to work on keeping my arc length short so I don't put too much heat into the work. Seat time is the answer.
cj737

Anecdote: I welded all day today helping a buddy who is getting his new flatbed welding truck together. I welded, he welded. Half the welds we argued about whose were who's. The other half, we pointed fingers at the other guy.

Moral of the story: sometimes, you rock, sometimes you suck. As long as they hold up to their duty, and you aren't emabarassed by them, you're doing fine.

PS In actual fact, my best welds weren't as pretty as his, but darn close. My worst welds were as bad his bad welds. But his best welds were darn machine-like perfection. So I have something to shoot for. :)