Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gene.243
    Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:43 pm

I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Here's a butt weld from today.
Attachments
July17.JPG
July17.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Gene.243

LtBadd wrote:visual of what CJ737 said ;)
end view.jpg
dot.jpg
I had been working really hard at keeping my torch at 90 where this picture shows 45 degrees.
Welds much better that way.
Thanks for the help.
Gene.243

Here is a picture that goes with the current conversation.
Attachments
July17Lap.JPG
July17Lap.JPG (25.54 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

It looks like you aren't beveling your plates. Try a bevel. It doesnt have to be the full thickness of the material. That joint is no different than a bead on a plate. The results will look a lot different with a bevel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Gene.243

Wow, That helped a lot. Thank you!
Picture soon,
Family time.

Gene.243 wrote:Here is a picture that goes with the current conversation.
oh yea! now you're cooking
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gene.243 wrote:I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Only be constructive, not critical: I suspect that joint is pretty weak and has insufficient penetration. Examine the backside of it. And occasionally, bend the piece in your vise to test your welding.

The reason I assume this is because your bead is tall and narrow, not flatter and wider. It's an indication of a cold weld. That can be too little amps, too much filler added with too fast a travel speed, or simply being new.

The lap joint bead shows a lot better technique for travel and heat to my eyes. But whenever you're making those "shiny worms" in a butt joint, you're probably not getting the penetration you need. But your lap joint looks really good!
Gene.243

cj737 wrote:
Gene.243 wrote:I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Only be constructive, not critical: I suspect that joint is pretty weak and has insufficient penetration. Examine the backside of it. And occasionally, bend the piece in your vise to test your welding.

The reason I assume this is because your bead is tall and narrow, not flatter and wider. It's an indication of a cold weld. That can be too little amps, too much filler added with too fast a travel speed, or simply being new.

The lap joint bead shows a lot better technique for travel and heat to my eyes. But whenever you're making those "shiny worms" in a butt joint, you're probably not getting the penetration you need. But your lap joint looks really good!

cj737, Thank you for your reply.
I agree it is a tall cold weld. I was happy to have somewhat evenly spaced beads and a button instead of a crater at the end that I posted a picture. I still have a long way to go and I plan on getting there. Can't do it without help.
Gene.243

Today's lap looks like...
Attachments
July18LapBevel.JPG
July18LapBevel.JPG (29.88 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Gene.243

Here is one after washing yesterday's butt.
You can laugh at my jokes but not my welds.
Attachments
YesterdaysButt.JPG
YesterdaysButt.JPG (31.6 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Gene.243

After watching this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0thSDy_OSk
Jodi shows what the back side of a butt supposed to look like.
Gene.243

Today's butt.
Attachments
Dimples.JPG
Dimples.JPG (34.61 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Gene.243

And for today's lap joint proudly welded at 125 amps...
Attachments
Lap125Amp.JPG
Lap125Amp.JPG (37.31 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Gene.243 wrote:And for today's lap joint proudly welded at 125 amps...
I see progress.. Doesn't it feel good when things start to click? :D
Gene.243

It does feel good. I've been practicing on aluminum for a month now, I think every day.
OzFlo

Gene.243 wrote:It does feel good. I've been practicing on aluminum for a month now, I think every day.
Keep at it Gene.. you're definitely getting better! :)

Maybe see if you can get yourself some 3/8" thick plate and try padding beads. Makes for good prep vs seat time. It's also good for showing how quickly ally sucks up the heat making things go all watery.
Gene.243

OzFlo,
I'll pad beads for a long time but on 3/8 stock? I don't know if a #17 torch will do that.
cj737

Gene.243 wrote:OzFlo,
I'll pad beads for a long time but on 3/8 stock? I don't know if a #17 torch will do that.
Don't fret, the accumulated heat will soak in and allow the following passes to burn in. You won't get the penetration required for weld strength, but padding beads is more about fine motor control and technique refinement than about penetration.

You can also use some Propane and preheat the 3/8" stock to get your initial beads to wet in faster.
OzFlo

cj737 wrote:
Don't fret, the accumulated heat will soak in and allow the following passes to burn in. You won't get the penetration required for weld strength, but padding beads is more about fine motor control and technique refinement than about penetration.

You can also use some Propane and preheat the 3/8" stock to get your initial beads to wet in faster.
Like cj737 said, padding beads is simply good practice for little work.. And you don't have to worry bout penetration just yet or preheating the material with anything other than your arc! It doesn't take long for the material to heat up.
And if you're concerned about overheating your torch, try running a few beads and let it cool for a few minutes. You'll have to let the material cool a little anyway..

Flo
Gene.243

OzFlo wrote:
cj737 wrote:

Like cj737 said, padding beads is simply good practice for little work.. And you don't have to worry bout penetration just yet or preheating the material with anything other than your arc! It doesn't take long for the material to heat up.
And if you're concerned about overheating your torch, try running a few beads and let it cool for a few minutes. You'll have to let the material cool a little anyway..

Flo
Would 1/2" work as well?
cj737

Anything from 1/4" and up will work. Get into the thick stuff, and you'll need to preheat the base material to get your first beads to flow (or use about 250amps!). The upside of using 1/2" is that it will withstand an enormous amount of practice beads before turning to goo-
Gene.243

That's a lot of work to get a bead at all. First a couple passes of just pushing a puddle then try to add some filler, then put that burning torch down.
Attachments
HalfInchPad.JPG
HalfInchPad.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Gene.243

Is this what you mean by goo? I was hoping to get another layer on this one.
Attachments
Goo.JPG
Goo.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
cj737

Yup. And yup.

The trick with thick aluminum is that it takes an enormous amount of heat to get your first puddle. The base material keeps that heat for a LONG time, so you can run another few passes more easily. But, you need to quickly taper off the heat used to get your first puddle because the accumulated heat is melting the interior (below the oxide layer). Continuing to weld only turns the interior (melts at a much lower temp than the oxide) to goo so your puddle/beads are just rubbery snot worms.

You can plunge the part in a bucket of water to quickly quench it without losing all the heat. I like 1/4" for practice, not 1/2". 1/2" is (in my opinion) much harder to deal with for the reasons mentioned above.
Gene.243

Practice lap #5 today.
Attachments
Lap7.23.JPG
Lap7.23.JPG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1470 times