Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gene.243
    Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:43 pm

The learning curve, it is steep!
Attachments
thumb.JPG
thumb.JPG (19.66 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

not sure if this would be of any help, but throwing my 2 cents into it... for myself, learning to do nice beads on aluminum means to at first be patient to burn through that initial oxide layer and have a nice shiny obvious puddle the size of the bead you want... then, and ONLY then start dipping and moving... and lean into your pedal hard, don't be shy, and at the same time move quickly, don't hang out... it's like, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, GO! sorta like my sport of drag racing, ya gotta be patient at the tree but then don't delay when it's time to go and floor it!... I have been into setting my amps a bunch higher than would be needed to weld with on all my metals, to give myself room to play with and to let my foot control how hot I want to go, reading the weld and adapting to it instead of relying on my settings (or anything else, like size of filler rod, types of tungsten, how clean it is, etc, etc... let the weld tell you how fast or slow, how hot or hotter to go, how much to dip or not dip)... Not sure if that is of any help since I've only been doing it a couple of years compared to the veterans here, but like I said, my 2 cents (and that's all I found in my couch)...

and oh yeah, if you don't already have it, buy some of those 'TIG Fingers' from Jody, it costs more than ice but well worth it
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
Gene.243

So I'm doing a lap joint and I start a puddle on the lower piece. I can get the puddle started just fine, my question is how do I get the top piece involved in the puddle?

Gene, what machine are you using?
Richard
Website
Gene.243

Lincoln Precision Tig 225.
Gene.243

I did about a dozen of these today.
Attachments
July15.JPG
July15.JPG (32.38 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Gene, defiantly doing better, looks like you started slow, (metal was room temp) as you went an inch or so the puddle narrowed (good thing) as the plate warmed up and you got into a rhythm (looks best at this point) at the end maybe you're snapping off to quick, and/or your keeping the tungsten at one spot. When tapering off try moving the electrode in a small circle as you finish the weld
July15.JPG
July15.JPG (34.31 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Richard
Website
Gene.243

I just watched one of Jody's videos (on tungsten grind angles) and his torch angle was not anywhere close to straight up. He was pointing into the lap at about a 45-degree angle.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gene.243 wrote:I just watched one of Jody's videos (on tungsten grind angles) and his torch angle was not anywhere close to straight up. He was pointing into the lap at about a 45-degree angle.
That's a good point to make: people always say 90* but that refers to the angle of the tungsten to the joint, but with a lap, you need to be at 90* to the "seam" or 45* away from horizontal while maintaining 90* to the puddle.

And by the way, if ice soothes your scorched skin, you're not welding hot enough! :D I did a bunch of thick aluminum Friday-Saturday, and the darn stuff was so hot the sweat pouring off me vaporized as it hit the aluminum. Sounded more like I was MIG welding with the sizzle of sweat. And yeah, it didn't smell great in the shop either :oops:

visual of what CJ737 said ;)
end view.jpg
end view.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
dot.jpg
dot.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Richard
Website
Gene.243

I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Here's a butt weld from today.
Attachments
July17.JPG
July17.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Gene.243

LtBadd wrote:visual of what CJ737 said ;)
end view.jpg
dot.jpg
I had been working really hard at keeping my torch at 90 where this picture shows 45 degrees.
Welds much better that way.
Thanks for the help.
Gene.243

Here is a picture that goes with the current conversation.
Attachments
July17Lap.JPG
July17Lap.JPG (25.54 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

It looks like you aren't beveling your plates. Try a bevel. It doesnt have to be the full thickness of the material. That joint is no different than a bead on a plate. The results will look a lot different with a bevel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Gene.243

Wow, That helped a lot. Thank you!
Picture soon,
Family time.

Gene.243 wrote:Here is a picture that goes with the current conversation.
oh yea! now you're cooking
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gene.243 wrote:I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Only be constructive, not critical: I suspect that joint is pretty weak and has insufficient penetration. Examine the backside of it. And occasionally, bend the piece in your vise to test your welding.

The reason I assume this is because your bead is tall and narrow, not flatter and wider. It's an indication of a cold weld. That can be too little amps, too much filler added with too fast a travel speed, or simply being new.

The lap joint bead shows a lot better technique for travel and heat to my eyes. But whenever you're making those "shiny worms" in a butt joint, you're probably not getting the penetration you need. But your lap joint looks really good!
Gene.243

cj737 wrote:
Gene.243 wrote:I'll agree it's too hot to be outside much.
Only be constructive, not critical: I suspect that joint is pretty weak and has insufficient penetration. Examine the backside of it. And occasionally, bend the piece in your vise to test your welding.

The reason I assume this is because your bead is tall and narrow, not flatter and wider. It's an indication of a cold weld. That can be too little amps, too much filler added with too fast a travel speed, or simply being new.

The lap joint bead shows a lot better technique for travel and heat to my eyes. But whenever you're making those "shiny worms" in a butt joint, you're probably not getting the penetration you need. But your lap joint looks really good!

cj737, Thank you for your reply.
I agree it is a tall cold weld. I was happy to have somewhat evenly spaced beads and a button instead of a crater at the end that I posted a picture. I still have a long way to go and I plan on getting there. Can't do it without help.
Gene.243

Today's lap looks like...
Attachments
July18LapBevel.JPG
July18LapBevel.JPG (29.88 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Gene.243

Here is one after washing yesterday's butt.
You can laugh at my jokes but not my welds.
Attachments
YesterdaysButt.JPG
YesterdaysButt.JPG (31.6 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Gene.243

After watching this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0thSDy_OSk
Jodi shows what the back side of a butt supposed to look like.
Gene.243

Today's butt.
Attachments
Dimples.JPG
Dimples.JPG (34.61 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
Gene.243

And for today's lap joint proudly welded at 125 amps...
Attachments
Lap125Amp.JPG
Lap125Amp.JPG (37.31 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Gene.243 wrote:And for today's lap joint proudly welded at 125 amps...
I see progress.. Doesn't it feel good when things start to click? :D
Gene.243

It does feel good. I've been practicing on aluminum for a month now, I think every day.