Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BIGRIG
    Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 am

Hi guys i been welding for over 10 years mostly pipe and one day have the idea why not built my own t top for my boat have all the tools welding machine pipe and tube bender hand tools etc.. etc.. i know how to weld SS, CS, ALUMINIUM etc.. well long short history i found out how something i though was so easy is not i have no problems whit the fabrication part i just get confused in to what material is best for this project i search the web and found out there is to many opinions to use aluminium or SS well to make things simple i decide on SS my question is what kind of SS is the best and what wall thickness to use ? i looking at 304 L 2" OD .120 WALL. and i gonna powder coating it but i wonder if this would be fine ? also we always purge the pipe before welding but i read that the guys who make this tings professionally dont purge it found it hard to believe but you never know any info will be much appreciated thanks.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Do a search here for Tamjeff. He is our resident aluminium welding god. I can't help too much with what material to choose, but I do know, if you choose aluminium, it must be annodised tube or powder coated after welding. If you want to know why, get a piece of raw non shiny ali and rub your hand over it the way you would with a grab handle or rail.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Most anodized tubing used on T-Tops is 2" schedule 40. If you use stainless and powder coat it, 304 is fine, 316 is better.

Since this is for yourself then purge it, as for the shops that don't purge, well it's another step that costs money, and maybe it's not absolutely necessary depending on your POV.
Richard
Website
BIGRIG

Thanks for the reply's I really don't want aluminum To many cons Welds cracking understand stress the powder coating will peel after a while etc.. I think stainless is they way to go I wonder if there is to much difference between 304L and 316L since it gonna get powder coated and if someone did this before maybe can share some tips thx.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/me ... ection.pdf
308 would be a good choice. 316-304 is a common joint in pipe and food process work. Totally doable.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BIGRIG

Thanks Josh i never consider 308 i went whit 304 L and 316 L because i hear they better in marine environment thing is my metal supplier only carries 304 L in 2" od .120 wall so i think i going whit that i looking to $450 on materials wise so i think is not that bad aluminium will run me about $300 but i read to many bad reviews about pitting corrosion and weld failure due stress so i going whit ss i will post when i done thanks all for the info.