Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

this was my brain dead mistake of the day... I usually do nothing but TIG at my job (a sheet metal shop that does a lot of stainless custom work), but we do all kinds of random stuff, mostly stainless but also aluminum or 'black iron' (mild steel)... But this week I'm knee deep in building big 5/16" thick wall square tubing mild steel structures using a 200amp MIG box. Some of it is overhead work, while lying on my back on the ground welding inches from my helmet. Well, I totally forgot that I don't use that clear plastic protective cover on my welding helmet, as I'm always using TIG and I hate those plastic covers cause they scratch so freakin' easily... I just don't need it TIG'ing, but I forgot it wasn't on my helmet, so there i was MIG'ing away all day long... uggghhhhh... totally ruined my helmet. Fail.

Beat that! ha

can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference

Maybe time to keep a supply of covers on hand, even when TIG welding and change as needed. Of course after a new AD lens. :(
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Well I never plan on taking my cover shield off now. :lol: and on a speed glass...what an awful day
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Out of compassion for your plight, I'd like to nominate you for Dumba$$ move of the Month actually :D That is an expensive boo-boo right there and I feel your pain :oops:

If it's any consolation, you can deduct your helmet off your taxes next year :roll:
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.

LtBadd wrote:Maybe time to keep a supply of covers on hand, even when TIG welding and change as needed. Of course after a new AD lens. :(
oh I keep a bunch of spare inner shields and outer shields with me at work, but I just don't use them... never needed to, cause we're a TIG shop... yeah, right, TIG, next thing they'll be making me do is stick (highly unlikely ha)!
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference

cj737 wrote:Out of compassion for your plight, I'd like to nominate you for Dumba$$ move of the Month actually :D That is an expensive boo-boo right there and I feel your pain :oops:

If it's any consolation, you can deduct your helmet off your taxes next year :roll:
ha, yeah, well if anything, I just broke a part of the inner head adjustment straps inside it a few days ago too, but with some crafty duct tape work I got it working fine... maybe it was trying to tell me it was dying...

Oscar wrote:It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.
yeah I was about to start a new thread, about what your favorite welding helmets were... since it looks like I'm unintentionally buying a new one (looks like the new work boots are gonna have to wait)...

What's the deal with the Optrel? just reading some specs on it now... has some auto-pilot adjustment function deal... not sure if I would ever need that.
cj737

Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.

I had the chance to try out an Optrel Panoramaxx prototype at FabTech last year. Don't know as I'd ever spend $500 for a helmet, but it was the absolute best true color display I've ever seen. Right now I'm running a Miller Digital Elite and I'm very happy with it for what I do.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

raticus wrote:
Oscar wrote:It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.
yeah I was about to start a new thread, about what your favorite welding helmets were... since it looks like I'm unintentionally buying a new one (looks like the new work boots are gonna have to wait)...

What's the deal with the Optrel? just reading some specs on it now... has some auto-pilot adjustment function deal... not sure if I would ever need that.
You have no idea what you're missing.
Farmwelding

cj737 wrote:Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.
What's auto sense? I have an infinity and don't know about this. Or maybe i do and just don't recognize
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
cj737

Farmwelding wrote:
cj737 wrote:Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.
What's auto sense? I have an infinity and don't know about this. Or maybe i do and just don't recognize
Look at the intensity adjustment buttons: see the "Less" button? Press and hold it while under Weld and then the display will countdown then establish your Shade and Sensitivity settings based upon the ambient light. You adjust Delay to your preference. Transfers those settings to X-Mode too.

I like a longer delay with TIG personally.

keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue? The other thing I didn't like about my Speedglas was the internal head strap setup, it's way too complicated, seemed overkill... and it did finally break this past week.. Not a big issue but I noticed it from day one, it was like reinventing the wheel for no reason. The one thing I really liked about my Speedglas, was the shape... it's easier to get in and out of tight spaces, but still was not as slim as I wanted. That seems an issue with all helmets, if you're welding something that's below you as you're standing up, you can't point your head too far downward as your helmet hits your chest... I guess i could just trim my helmet down, knocking off a few inches... Helmets seem to all be a bit too big, they only need to cover your exposed skin to protect from sunburn, er, weldburn... I never have an issue with heat other than my hands that always seem to be on fire (ask me how many gloves I go through). Maybe my next project is going to build my own helmet from a mold and just buy an auto-darkening lens assembly and attach it to it... It needs to shape much closer to our actual head and neck shape... (Would probably look really creepy that way ha)...
Farmwelding

I have a digital infinity and leave it in x-mode all the time so no need to worry about the lights in the shop. I know most brands have something similar now as well. Still reccomend the infinity though if you like a ton of viewing area.
Nick

raticus wrote:keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue?
Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

I have the Digital Infinity, it replaced an 8 year old Digital Elite so that was a big step up. I would like to try the Speedglas and Lincolns top rated hood as well. Maybe someone should start a try before you buy program... :lol:
Richard
Website

never seen this helmet before but it has to be the coolest looking helmet...

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... 2526&tab=1

LtBadd wrote:
raticus wrote:keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue?
Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

I have the Digital Infinity, it replaced an 8 year old Digital Elite so that was a big step up. I would like to try the Speedglas and Lincolns top rated hood as well. Maybe someone should start a try before you buy program... :lol:
yeah I've tried playing with my settings but none ever worked that great for my situation... maybe cause it changes as I move around to different positions in my shop... I can use it in a different room in the shop, but not in the main room where I usually work
Farmwelding

raticus wrote:never seen this helmet before but it has to be the coolest looking helmet...

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/in ... 2526&tab=1
I want to try one really bad. I've seen a lot about them. Seems like they are pretty popular and well liked.
Nick

LtBadd wrote:Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

Was looking at the Digital Infinity, the Lincoln Viking 3350, and comparing them to various others like my Speedglas 9100... but I only see the Digital Infinity with that X Mode function.... they all have sensitivity controls, but I'm guessing that X Mode is a different animal altogether... I would love to have my auto-darkening function working all the time, I probably broke my headgear strap cause I've been using the helmet like a non-auto helmet, flipping it down physically constantly
Farmwelding

I got to use a Viking and it was still pretty good but I had the same problem you did with the light because I was borrowing a hood in a factory doing a job shadow. I also still love the large viewing area of the infinity. Never have gotten to use a speed glass but would like to. One thing you could do is see if somebody has one you are looking at buying and try it out at lunch break or see if your local welding supply store has an area to test helmets and equipment. My local stores don't but I know some do.
Nick
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I have a Miller digital elite, Infinity and a 3M 9100 FX ADFLO with the 9100xxi lens. Love the 3M for comfort by far. I have been flashed a few times but it was my mistake. The miller X-Mode is rock solid and switching the lens every time you start an arc. The problem with the Infinity i find is the lens is too big. I get tones of glare on the inside lens because of the over head lights in my shop. The 3M has a skirt around it because of the powered breathing so the glare is eliminated. I also really like the flip up front part with a inner clear lens so you dont have to flip the whole helmet to get a good look at what you are doing.

On a side note, if you ever thought about going with a PAPR, get one!! cost is up there but worth it.

EDIT* I should also add that the clearly of the the 3m is the best out of the three that I use.

Skylineauto wrote:I have a Miller digital elite, Infinity and a 3M 9100 FX ADFLO with the 9100xxi lens. Love the 3M for comfort by far. I have been flashed a few times but it was my mistake. The miller X-Mode is rock solid and switching the lens every time you start an arc. The problem with the Infinity i find is the lens is too big. I get tones of glare on the inside lens because of the over head lights in my shop. The 3M has a skirt around it because of the powered breathing so the glare is eliminated. I also really like the flip up front part with a inner clear lens so you dont have to flip the whole helmet to get a good look at what you are doing.

On a side note, if you ever thought about going with a PAPR, get one!! cost is up there but worth it.

EDIT* I should also add that the clearly of the the 3m is the best out of the three that I use.
I rarely have an issue with breathing so that's not something I'll be wanting (though lately zinc countertops seem to be a trend)...

I'm focusing on the Infinity so far, simply because of the X Mode and the big viewing (thanks for the glare info)... I'm just hoping the X Mode keeps the lens from going dark when I don't want it to, that's my big problem with my Speedglas, which i guess is the same problem with the Viking... so far the only one i've seen that has the X-Mode are the Miller's
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

To be honest The infinity sounds great on paper but in the end, out of my three helmets its the one I have used the least. The larger lens area really does not apply because the extra viewing are is out of my field of vision. It was a let down for me. Even getting the head gear comfortable took me several attempts to get right.
cj737

I leave my Infinity in X mode because I tend to have either direct or indirect sunlight in the shop, plus overhead LED worklights, and when I use it outside, the X mode is the deal. The extra sensors and the ability to deal with the ambient light really has impressed me. Haven't tried all the other helmets so I can only give you feedback on what I've used.