Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I got to use a Viking and it was still pretty good but I had the same problem you did with the light because I was borrowing a hood in a factory doing a job shadow. I also still love the large viewing area of the infinity. Never have gotten to use a speed glass but would like to. One thing you could do is see if somebody has one you are looking at buying and try it out at lunch break or see if your local welding supply store has an area to test helmets and equipment. My local stores don't but I know some do.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I have a Miller digital elite, Infinity and a 3M 9100 FX ADFLO with the 9100xxi lens. Love the 3M for comfort by far. I have been flashed a few times but it was my mistake. The miller X-Mode is rock solid and switching the lens every time you start an arc. The problem with the Infinity i find is the lens is too big. I get tones of glare on the inside lens because of the over head lights in my shop. The 3M has a skirt around it because of the powered breathing so the glare is eliminated. I also really like the flip up front part with a inner clear lens so you dont have to flip the whole helmet to get a good look at what you are doing.

On a side note, if you ever thought about going with a PAPR, get one!! cost is up there but worth it.

EDIT* I should also add that the clearly of the the 3m is the best out of the three that I use.
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Skylineauto wrote:I have a Miller digital elite, Infinity and a 3M 9100 FX ADFLO with the 9100xxi lens. Love the 3M for comfort by far. I have been flashed a few times but it was my mistake. The miller X-Mode is rock solid and switching the lens every time you start an arc. The problem with the Infinity i find is the lens is too big. I get tones of glare on the inside lens because of the over head lights in my shop. The 3M has a skirt around it because of the powered breathing so the glare is eliminated. I also really like the flip up front part with a inner clear lens so you dont have to flip the whole helmet to get a good look at what you are doing.

On a side note, if you ever thought about going with a PAPR, get one!! cost is up there but worth it.

EDIT* I should also add that the clearly of the the 3m is the best out of the three that I use.
I rarely have an issue with breathing so that's not something I'll be wanting (though lately zinc countertops seem to be a trend)...

I'm focusing on the Infinity so far, simply because of the X Mode and the big viewing (thanks for the glare info)... I'm just hoping the X Mode keeps the lens from going dark when I don't want it to, that's my big problem with my Speedglas, which i guess is the same problem with the Viking... so far the only one i've seen that has the X-Mode are the Miller's
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

To be honest The infinity sounds great on paper but in the end, out of my three helmets its the one I have used the least. The larger lens area really does not apply because the extra viewing are is out of my field of vision. It was a let down for me. Even getting the head gear comfortable took me several attempts to get right.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I leave my Infinity in X mode because I tend to have either direct or indirect sunlight in the shop, plus overhead LED worklights, and when I use it outside, the X mode is the deal. The extra sensors and the ability to deal with the ambient light really has impressed me. Haven't tried all the other helmets so I can only give you feedback on what I've used.
Sickboyboone
    Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:29 am

The digital elite also has an x mode. I've had two and love em, although my next one will be an infinity

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sickboyboone

And don't feel bad about the dumb ass move, my co worker left his digital elite on a header of the combine we were working on and engaged the machine. Turned his 300 dollars into 300 pieces

Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Sickboyboone wrote:And don't feel bad about the dumb ass move, my co worker left his digital elite on a header of the combine we were working on and engaged the machine. Turned his 300 dollars into 300 pieces

Dats funny right there! Of course my farm brain wants to know what model combine and what kind of header/how big and what were you doing on it?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Sickboyboone wrote:And don't feel bad about the dumb ass move, my co worker left his digital elite on a header of the combine we were working on and engaged the machine. Turned his 300 dollars into 300 pieces
haha... oh man wish you had a pic of that, then I wouldn't feel quite as dumb
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:41 am

I'm not happy with the Miller Digital Elite headgear. It doesn't stay up because its heavy and the stay up mechanism wears out quickly. I'm on Headgear #3 and don't use it everyday. I'd like to hear more about the Optrel and Sentinel. I tried on a Miller T-94 and it was lighter so maybe it wouldn't wear out the stay up plastic catch as easy.
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
Sickboyboone

Tbaugh wrote:I'm not happy with the Miller Digital Elite headgear. It doesn't stay up because its heavy and the stay up mechanism wears out quickly. I'm on Headgear #3 and don't use it everyday. I'd like to hear more about the Optrel and Sentinel. I tried on a Miller T-94 and it was lighter so maybe it wouldn't wear out the stay up plastic catch as easy.

I feel your pain brother. I'm on my second DE. First one had the original headgear and I loved it. My second, has the fancy ass new one and I'm not impressed. My supplier says you can still order the old ones so I might do that. I only got rid of my first one cu zig wanted one with graphics.

Sickboyboone

Farmwelding wrote:

Dats funny right there! Of course my farm brain wants to know what model combine and what kind of header/how big and what were you doing on it?

I believe it was our 9760 sts. 630 header. We also have a t670, a 9770, a 9610 and a few 9600s. We go through them every year before harvest.

Sickboyboone

Farmwelding wrote:

I believe it was our 9760 sts. 630 header. We also have a t670, a 9770, a 9610 and a few 9600s. We go through them every year before harvest.