It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:38 am Advanced search

dumbass move of the day thread (?)

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

dumbass move of the day thread (?)

Postby raticus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 pm

this was my brain dead mistake of the day... I usually do nothing but TIG at my job (a sheet metal shop that does a lot of stainless custom work), but we do all kinds of random stuff, mostly stainless but also aluminum or 'black iron' (mild steel)... But this week I'm knee deep in building big 5/16" thick wall square tubing mild steel structures using a 200amp MIG box. Some of it is overhead work, while lying on my back on the ground welding inches from my helmet. Well, I totally forgot that I don't use that clear plastic protective cover on my welding helmet, as I'm always using TIG and I hate those plastic covers cause they scratch so freakin' easily... I just don't need it TIG'ing, but I forgot it wasn't on my helmet, so there i was MIG'ing away all day long... uggghhhhh... totally ruined my helmet. Fail.

Beat that! ha

am I the only one that can't feed filler rod with magical thumb action?
raticus
Workhorse

Re: dumbass move of the day thread (?)

Postby LtBadd » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Maybe time to keep a supply of covers on hand, even when TIG welding and change as needed. Of course after a new AD lens. :(
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Well I never plan on taking my cover shield off now. :lol: and on a speed glass...what an awful day
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 am

Out of compassion for your plight, I'd like to nominate you for Dumba$$ move of the Month actually :D That is an expensive boo-boo right there and I feel your pain :oops:

If it's any consolation, you can deduct your helmet off your taxes next year :roll:
cj737
Heavy Hitter

Postby Oscar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby raticus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

LtBadd wrote:Maybe time to keep a supply of covers on hand, even when TIG welding and change as needed. Of course after a new AD lens. :(

oh I keep a bunch of spare inner shields and outer shields with me at work, but I just don't use them... never needed to, cause we're a TIG shop... yeah, right, TIG, next thing they'll be making me do is stick (highly unlikely ha)!
raticus
Workhorse

Postby raticus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm

cj737 wrote:Out of compassion for your plight, I'd like to nominate you for Dumba$$ move of the Month actually :D That is an expensive boo-boo right there and I feel your pain :oops:

If it's any consolation, you can deduct your helmet off your taxes next year :roll:

ha, yeah, well if anything, I just broke a part of the inner head adjustment straps inside it a few days ago too, but with some crafty duct tape work I got it working fine... maybe it was trying to tell me it was dying...
raticus
Workhorse

Postby raticus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Oscar wrote:It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.

yeah I was about to start a new thread, about what your favorite welding helmets were... since it looks like I'm unintentionally buying a new one (looks like the new work boots are gonna have to wait)...

What's the deal with the Optrel? just reading some specs on it now... has some auto-pilot adjustment function deal... not sure if I would ever need that.
raticus
Workhorse

Postby cj737 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.
cj737
Heavy Hitter

Postby ldbtx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:57 pm

I had the chance to try out an Optrel Panoramaxx prototype at FabTech last year. Don't know as I'd ever spend $500 for a helmet, but it was the absolute best true color display I've ever seen. Right now I'm running a Miller Digital Elite and I'm very happy with it for what I do.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ldbtx
Ace

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding