It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:14 am Advanced search

dumbass move of the day thread (?)

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: dumbass move of the day thread (?)

Postby Oscar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:26 pm

raticus wrote:
Oscar wrote:It's a blessing in disguise. Now you can get the Optrel e684. Best helmet for TIG, IMO.

yeah I was about to start a new thread, about what your favorite welding helmets were... since it looks like I'm unintentionally buying a new one (looks like the new work boots are gonna have to wait)...

What's the deal with the Optrel? just reading some specs on it now... has some auto-pilot adjustment function deal... not sure if I would ever need that.

You have no idea what you're missing.
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 pm

cj737 wrote:Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.

What's auto sense? I have an infinity and don't know about this. Or maybe i do and just don't recognize
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:14 am

Farmwelding wrote:
cj737 wrote:Miller Digital Infinity gets my vote. Super comfy, lighter than their other models, and great visibility. I use the "Auto Sense" mode and the Auto On/Off. I never get flashed, and don't have to fumble with turning it off.

What's auto sense? I have an infinity and don't know about this. Or maybe i do and just don't recognize

Look at the intensity adjustment buttons: see the "Less" button? Press and hold it while under Weld and then the display will countdown then establish your Shade and Sensitivity settings based upon the ambient light. You adjust Delay to your preference. Transfers those settings to X-Mode too.

I like a longer delay with TIG personally.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby raticus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:42 am

keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue? The other thing I didn't like about my Speedglas was the internal head strap setup, it's way too complicated, seemed overkill... and it did finally break this past week.. Not a big issue but I noticed it from day one, it was like reinventing the wheel for no reason. The one thing I really liked about my Speedglas, was the shape... it's easier to get in and out of tight spaces, but still was not as slim as I wanted. That seems an issue with all helmets, if you're welding something that's below you as you're standing up, you can't point your head too far downward as your helmet hits your chest... I guess i could just trim my helmet down, knocking off a few inches... Helmets seem to all be a bit too big, they only need to cover your exposed skin to protect from sunburn, er, weldburn... I never have an issue with heat other than my hands that always seem to be on fire (ask me how many gloves I go through). Maybe my next project is going to build my own helmet from a mold and just buy an auto-darkening lens assembly and attach it to it... It needs to shape much closer to our actual head and neck shape... (Would probably look really creepy that way ha)...
am I the only one that can't feed filler rod with magical thumb action?
raticus
Guide

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:57 pm

I have a digital infinity and leave it in x-mode all the time so no need to worry about the lights in the shop. I know most brands have something similar now as well. Still reccomend the infinity though if you like a ton of viewing area.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:49 pm

raticus wrote:keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue?

Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

I have the Digital Infinity, it replaced an 8 year old Digital Elite so that was a big step up. I would like to try the Speedglas and Lincolns top rated hood as well. Maybe someone should start a try before you buy program... :lol:
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby raticus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 pm

never seen this helmet before but it has to be the coolest looking helmet...

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=12526&tab=1
raticus
Guide

Postby raticus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm

LtBadd wrote:
raticus wrote:keep those helmet suggestions coming! was up too late last night online window shopping...

I liked my Speedglas but had two issues with it, the main problem was an issue all auto-darkening helmets have at my shop (which is why everyone in my shop uses old school helmets with their auto-darkening helmets hanging on a wall)... The placement of the overhead florescent lights (from behind where you're welding usually), sets my helmet to go dark before I'm even welding, making the auto-darkening function useless... I wonder what helmets are less sensitive to that issue?

Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

I have the Digital Infinity, it replaced an 8 year old Digital Elite so that was a big step up. I would like to try the Speedglas and Lincolns top rated hood as well. Maybe someone should start a try before you buy program... :lol:

yeah I've tried playing with my settings but none ever worked that great for my situation... maybe cause it changes as I move around to different positions in my shop... I can use it in a different room in the shop, but not in the main room where I usually work
raticus
Guide

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 pm

raticus wrote:never seen this helmet before but it has to be the coolest looking helmet...

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=12526&tab=1

I want to try one really bad. I've seen a lot about them. Seems like they are pretty popular and well liked.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby raticus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:30 pm

LtBadd wrote:Most quality AD helmets have an adjustable sensitivity setting that should work, and like Farm said the X mode of the Miller eliminates this as well, I believe other hood manufactures have their own "X mode" solution as well

Was looking at the Digital Infinity, the Lincoln Viking 3350, and comparing them to various others like my Speedglas 9100... but I only see the Digital Infinity with that X Mode function.... they all have sensitivity controls, but I'm guessing that X Mode is a different animal altogether... I would love to have my auto-darkening function working all the time, I probably broke my headgear strap cause I've been using the helmet like a non-auto helmet, flipping it down physically constantly
raticus
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding