Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

When do use 4043 or 5356?
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Google "alcotec filler alloy chart"
Helps pick filler wire based on what alloy you are welding.

Other rules of thumb when not critical:
4043 for casting , high silicon amount
Not 4043 if you will anodize, weld will discolor.

5356 for most other things specially marine stuff.

Very simplified but as said the chart will be a better guide
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

m0mri
    Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:38 pm

This may not assist in your choice but I was quite interested in all the various types of fillers so prepared a spreadsheet scheduling many of the more common fillers to include their composition.

When I started, I also wanted to know how many rods one could buy per kilo so I extrapolated from the composition to approximate the number of rods. That then expanded into calculating cost on a pre rod basis. Here is the spreadsheet in case it should be of any use https://cloud.titmus.org/index.php/s/ucZ8eSjTcNLBrVC

I have put some comments in that I had drawn from various sites and forums so if anybody should like credit or would like me to make any amendments, please do let me know.

Andrew
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Holy shit that's a nice spread sheet! I need more time than I have to read it. I'm going to be a while.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

There is also a blue demon filler metal app that you can select your base materials and it tells you what to use.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick