Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I know welding is welding but are there any big differences in using a transformer or an inverter for aluminum? I got a Precision Tig 185 and haven't been able to get consistent. It does fine on steel so I'm sure it's me. I'm no tig welder yet but just seems like I get porosity or too wide of an arc to concentrate the puddle. Not sure.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I've used a 185 a lot for aluminum, it's a really nice machine. Do you have it set for auto balance? That might be a good place to start, then adjust things from there if you think you need to. I assume you're using tungsten that's suitable for AC, a gas lens, etc. Post some pictures of what the weld looks like.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Google precision tig 185 or any oother welder manuals to help understand how AC tig works and how settings affect the arc and look for gas cfh,torch angle etc.
No magic just learn and think

This is from 185 manual
B-3
CONTROLS AND SETTINGS
All operator controls and adjustments are located on the front of the PRECISION TIG 185. Refer to Figure B.1
and corresponding explanations.
CONTROL FUNCTIONALITY
1. POWER SWITCH – Input line switch turns input
power ON or OFF, as indicated by the on or off sta-
tus of the front panel digital display (See Item 6).
2. POLARITY SWITCH – The rotary power switch has
3-positions for DC+, AC and DC- selections for the
electrode output stud welding polarity.
CAUTION
• Do not switch the polarity switch
while welding or damage may result
to the machine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. MODE SWITCH – The push button switch allows
selection of the two machine welding modes as
indicated by colored mode lights:
• STICK mode – Top position Red light.
• TIG mode – Bottom position Green light.
4. AC BALANCE CONTROL – The AC Balance
Control permits adjustment of the AC TIG wave bal-
ance adjustment from Max. Penetration (80% nega-
tive wave) at full CW rotation setting, to Max.
Cleaning (60% positive wave) at CCW rotation, and
includes:
• Auto Balance position indicated by the Green panel
light turning on.
OPERATION
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
jroark

I got about 1 1/2" of decent weld today and have no idea how it happened. I'm using 2% lanthinated and a stubby gas lense. 100% argon too. I've watched all Jody's videos so I have a good understanding of how it's supposed to look and act but I know I'm the weak link in the equation. I've been welding for over ten years but not too much in the aluminum tig department. Steel is ok and some stainless but this has me bested right now.
Other than my very small amount of decent weld I don't have a weld to show. Haha. It really acts like I have no gas or too long of an arc length. My arc also doesn't seem very focused. I grind my tungstens on a bench grinder that all I've ever used it for is tungstens. I think I've covered all the bases but I'm just missing something somewhere. Thanks for the help.
Gene.243
    Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:43 pm

While there are many here better qualified to answer your post, I think we all agree aluminum is harder to weld than steel. Practice regularly and it will improve both Al and Fe welding. As to transformer or inverter machine, I say to use the machine you have. People weld with both.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

jroark wrote:II think I've covered all the bases but I'm just missing something somewhere.
Torch angle can affect your gas coverage. Try to shoot for holding the torch at right angles to the work piece, and you'll probably end up tipping it about 10deg which is good. Also too much gas flow can be a problem, try experimenting a bit. Make sure the cooling fan from your machine isn't blowing your shielding gas away. Also, do you know what kind of aluminum you're using, and what the history is? If it's been soaked with oil or diesel fuel at some point, that could be a problem.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
jroark

Since it acts like it's dirty aluminum I'm assuming that's the issue. The fan should be a problem but I was thinking about it today and I've always used my spool gun which seems to be more forgiving so I haven't cleaned the aluminum probably as good as I should. It's 6061 but it's scrap pieces I've had laying around. No issues with oil though.
Also was wondering how to see the puddle like I want to with a 90 degree torch angle? Makes it hard to see and not sure if I'm missing it there too. Thanks for the replies.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Position your eyes in front of the line where you are welding to to see better. Or, you can try a Pyrex cup to help you see through the cup while getting your Ally game on.