Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rodm
    Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 am

Hi , I'm new here so bare with me. I have a Lincoln Precision tig 185 that I will be using to tig mild steel chassis with as well as some aluminum fab work. I have been using my Miller 185 mig to weld steel for quite some time but wanted to get into tig for a better, stronger weld as well as welding aluminum. My question is, I have an opportunity to buy a Hobart EZ tig 165 (inverter) welder for a very reasonable price, Would you suggest that I keep my Precision tig (Transformer) welder or would I be better off with the smaller, easier to use inverter and sell my Lincoln ? What are the positives and negatives of each? Thank you in advance.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

The EZ Tig has NO adjustments other than amperage, and a switch for aluminum / steel. Stay with your PT185. It is also a simplified machine compared to most but more capable than the EZ Tig.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

The big factor is how much does the welder cost. My personal opinion is since you already have the precision tig keep it. If the other welder is cheap than maybe to have another one in hand but it probably isn't worth it. The Hobart EZ-tig 165 is a miller diversion 165 painted white and orange and the diversion 165 is the younger brother of the diversion 180 in which I learned and have put many hours on. If you want to stick weld you'll have to use the precision tig or if you want more finite control as you progress you'll need the precision tig and you get a little extra amperage with the precision tig.

EZ-tig:
No digital read out for accuracy
Only tig welding, no stick capabilities
Limited to 165 amps
Amperage is only adjustment
Precision tig:
Digital readout for accuracy
Tig/stick capabilities
185 amps
Several other adjustments to affect arc especially with AC tig
Slightly larger than EZ-tig
Slightly better duty cycle but not much better.

If it was me id keep the precision tig.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Rodm

Thank you for your reply Ace. I am not an experienced tig welder and anticipating a learning curve. With that said , aren,t inverter type tigs much easier to use than the transformer type ? Also , what exactly makes my Precision tig better than the Ez tig ? I am a hobbyist and became interested in learning to tig because of a few guys I work with had bought Longevity and Alpha tigs from an auction site. I too had been looking at this site to find my own . During this time I happen to find my Precision tig on Let Go. I bought it without bottle and about 200 lbs of welding rods for $350. I couldn't pass it up but still was intrigued by he smaller user friendly inverter type machines . Now the Ez tig popped up on an auction site and could probably be bought for around $600. For new open box model , at least that is what the last one sold for . I would eventually use this for round tube chassis work with .125 wall tubing but also , and I don't know why , but I would like to learn how to use the lower amperage to weld pop cans together just for fun. So still , do you advise to pass on the Ez tig ?
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Rodm wrote:...So still , do you advise to pass on the Ez tig ?
I would pass on it. The PT185 is a really nice machine, I've used it a lot, and is capable of anything you might want to do. If you do buy another machine, I'd say pulse capability would be the most important thing you could add to what the 185 will do. It's much easier to weld thin wall material using pulse, especially if you're just learning or don't do it all the time.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

As a general rule, inverters have the ability to allow more adjustment over the arc than a typical transformer (there are many exceptions). The Miller Diversion/Hobart EZ Tig is one note able exception. It should be capable of stick welding but it isn't. The torch is hard wired and not easily swapped out like on other machines. A/C balance and frequency are preset, as is pre and post flow. They are very basic machines that will weld steel and aluminium. If these machines are the only two to choose from, the Precision Tig 185 is the winner.
Rodm

O.K. thank you all for the info. Looks like I'm going to be sticking with my Precision tig and forgetting the Hobart.