Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
OlMacWelder907
    Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 am

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you might have some recommendations for a good beginners AC TIG machine for aluminum that would be good for using in my garage at home. Thanks!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

907, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For the money, a DIY hobby shop will be pretty well served with an Alpha or Everest brand TIG box. A 200 amp machine is the lowest I'd buy, and be sure to have 220/230v power available in your garage.

There are many other brands that offer a low price box like Lincoln SquareWave 200 that is a very good box. But generally speaking the other 2 come in for less $ for the same capabilities.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

HTP Invertig 221. Best bang for the buck AC/DC tig welder.

This machinist guy I follow on youtube just got one and made a pretty cool video.
Danylo66
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

I have one of the less expensive machines. It works fine for a less expensive machine. It's not an AC machine, but for most things it does okay. If you plan on buying a machine once then spend the money wisely. If you are not relying on it to make you a living, then most will do well. I have found that the more expensive machines, are capable,e of longer periods of welding at one time. The cheaper machines will get the job done. I have a Harbour Freight Stick/Tig welder, that I borrowed from a friend to try. It's an old model. But believe it or not it is just fine for tig welding. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
bowleggid
    Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi OlMac - I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but once you get started with a machine, it's nice to have some extra $ around to use on gas lenses, cups, etc. Following a recommendation from a friend that makes a living with a TIG machine, I recently purchased the Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200 for $1400 delivered, from Indiana Oxygen Co.'s online store (they had the best price & free shipping.) For the money, it has plenty of bells & whistles -- Pulse, AC Balance & Frequency adjustments -- and once you get used to the post flow (auto-set at 1 sec. per 10 amps) it's really nice. It comes with a #17 (3 series) air cooled torch, which is very easy to find accessories for online. I've had mine since Feb. and have really enjoyed learning how to use all its capabilities. Jody has some good videos in which he uses a SW200, too.

I like my AlphaTIG 200x. Mine's a couple years old. The new ones have more features such as wider pulse range and such. Good solid machine and a hell of a deal for the money.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Everlast all the way man the 185dv is a good starter. Not much goes on with 3/32 tungsten over 180 amps and with the built in 1hz and 50hz pulse setting its easy to get a good looking aluminum bead going early in the game.
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Everlasting 164. No probs, pumping out work.
Haven't tried it for plasma cut or stick, just tig so far.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I weld aluminum all day. My home machine is a squarewave 200. 3 year warranty comes out to 500 bucks a year for the machine and its Lincoln. I looked at off brands but couldnt pull the trigger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk