Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

AndersK wrote:Have to strongly disagree with last post

Don't run a water cooled without coolant in the lines. I have damaged a 20 torch more than once by forgetting to turn on the water. It has only been matter of seconds but that was long enough to overheat. Easy fix though, cut off water and gas line an inch and re-assemble....

I'm pretty sure my 20 torch is the same size as the 9.

If you are looking at buying a torch in Europe have a look at Parweld or Binzel. You can get CK torches from Rapid Weld in the UK.
For clarification, if you use a water cooled torch at only 80 amps, then coolant is NOT required. Yes, above 125-130 amps, you really should run coolant. But it is not required in all options, though encouraged.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm fairly certain that most water cooled torches require the water be on, as the power lead is only heavy enough for the load by virtue of the water flowing over it.

I've read MANY reports of power leads fried due to the water not being on, and do my best to not be one of those posting another report of the same.

If you're only going to run at 80A, why bother buying a WC torch in the first place. A #9 torch is a good bit cheaper and simpler, and depending on the brand, rated up to ~125A.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

cj737 wrote: For clarification, if you use a water cooled torch at only 80 amps, then coolant is NOT required.
Not my experience for sure :mrgreen:

I empty the lines when not in use, more sensitive then I guess