Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:42 pm

hi guys, after several hours welding exhaust pipes i have notice that my torch(wp26 style air cooled) get very hot, in this pic i have put Jody's tig finger around my torch for finish my work :D , i think to change my torch to a small water cooled so i can save time...
what type of torch can i buy considering that im living in europe?
For the refrigerator unit i what made it myself with a car radiator and a pump, can it works? Image

Inviato dal mio U FEEL utilizzando Tapatalk

crimas wrote:hi guys, after several hours welding exhaust pipes i have notice that my torch(wp26 style air cooled) get very hot, in this pic i have put Jody's tig finger around my torch for finish my work :D , i think to change my torch to a small water cooled so i can save time...
what type of torch can i buy considering that im living in europe?
For the refrigerator unit i what made it myself with a car radiator and a pump, can it works?
Hello Crimas
We have some others on here from Europe that can help with the TIG torch purchase, and yes you can make your own water cooler, there are many posts of DIY units you can find with Google search
Richard
Website
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

I'm in europe too, but one of the best things I ever did was get a CK Worldwide torch with their superflex cable. (an air-cooled Flex-Loc in my case).

Yeah.. They're not cheap, but they work great and make for a much nicer welding experience, especially the nice and flexible cable makes it so much less cumbersome to hold and manipulate than many standard torches.

With the worldwide shipping on Ebay including postage and import handing it's still doable.. Something like this for a watercooled version:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/332277003030

Bye, Arno.

thanks for answer my post, i was oriented to buy CK torch but im not sure what style is the most appropriate, i weld a lot of sheet steel but also happens me to weld some aluminum (wp9 style can do this job al 200amp?) and i have a lot of cups for my wp26 torch ( is it compatibles or i have to buy ck cups and consumables ?)

cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

crimas wrote:thanks for answer my post, i was oriented to buy CK torch but im not sure what style is the most appropriate, i weld a lot of sheet steel but also happens me to weld some aluminum (wp9 style can do this job al 200amp?) and i have a lot of cups for my wp26 torch ( is it compatibles or i have to buy ck cups and consumables ?)

A WP9 torch is rated to 125 amps. A w17 torch is rated to 150 amps. A w20 is rated well above 200 amps and is compatible with most water-cooled cables.

How thick is the aluminum you weld? I use a #17 torch for all the welding I do. Yes, it gets hot after a bit, but simply set it down as you deal with positioning, or setup and it cools pretty quickly. A water cooled torch is a dream, but they are much larger than the 9/17 torches.

You can also run a Helium mixture with your Argon when welding thick material, especially aluminum, as it reduces the amperage needed. I run a 25% Helimum mix and I have been very pleased with the results.

i weld just simple aluminum stuff from 2-3 mm thickness, and some repair like broken radiator or motorcycle crankchase but the amperage are near 200amp, i think this isn't a problem because i don't weld aluminum for hours...
i was looking some torches on ebay , what's the differences between this two torches ?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/CK-FL2312SF-FlexL ... iid%253A23

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12-WP-20-Swivel-H ... Ciid%253A3

crimas wrote:i was looking some torches on ebay , what's the differences between this two torches ?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/CK-FL2312SF-FlexL ... iid%253A23

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12-WP-20-Swivel-H ... Ciid%253A3

Both are the CKFL230 torch, however the one listed as a WP-20 is sold by HTP USAweld, it comes with a 1/2" Dinse connector and a cable cover. If you use the "Mouse over to zoom" feature you can see the CK emblem on the torch head

The other is sold with the standard threaded fittings
Richard
Website

just an other question before i buy this Torch, can i use it without the water inside at low amperage while i make my homemade cooling unit or can i damage the torch ?

cj737

It is not required to use liquid with a water-cooled torch, but it is recommended. Many of the machines now have an automatic switch to activate the cooler as the torch reaches a certain temperature and begin circulating coolant (like an automobile).

A 20 series torch is much larger in dimensions than a 9 or 17, so you will have some adjustment period to the new size in your hand.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Have to strongly disagree with last post

Don't run a water cooled without coolant in the lines. I have damaged a 20 torch more than once by forgetting to turn on the water. It has only been matter of seconds but that was long enough to overheat. Easy fix though, cut off water and gas line an inch and re-assemble....

I'm pretty sure my 20 torch is the same size as the 9.

If you are looking at buying a torch in Europe have a look at Parweld or Binzel. You can get CK torches from Rapid Weld in the UK.
cj737

AndersK wrote:Have to strongly disagree with last post

Don't run a water cooled without coolant in the lines. I have damaged a 20 torch more than once by forgetting to turn on the water. It has only been matter of seconds but that was long enough to overheat. Easy fix though, cut off water and gas line an inch and re-assemble....

I'm pretty sure my 20 torch is the same size as the 9.

If you are looking at buying a torch in Europe have a look at Parweld or Binzel. You can get CK torches from Rapid Weld in the UK.
For clarification, if you use a water cooled torch at only 80 amps, then coolant is NOT required. Yes, above 125-130 amps, you really should run coolant. But it is not required in all options, though encouraged.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm fairly certain that most water cooled torches require the water be on, as the power lead is only heavy enough for the load by virtue of the water flowing over it.

I've read MANY reports of power leads fried due to the water not being on, and do my best to not be one of those posting another report of the same.

If you're only going to run at 80A, why bother buying a WC torch in the first place. A #9 torch is a good bit cheaper and simpler, and depending on the brand, rated up to ~125A.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

cj737 wrote: For clarification, if you use a water cooled torch at only 80 amps, then coolant is NOT required.
Not my experience for sure :mrgreen:

I empty the lines when not in use, more sensitive then I guess