Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Your regulator should have one installed in it. If you use a Y connection, it too may well have one depending upon brand and model you get.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

My question is exactly what regulator are you planning to use on the helium tank?
cj737

Oscar wrote:My question is exactly what regulator are you planning to use on the helium tank?
This is the gauge I use with a pre-mixed tank, but it will work perfectly well on a pure Helium tank also

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... gJWavD_BwE

That gauge is configured for output PSI, not CFM. If using CFM as the sole indicator, wouldn't he need one configured for CFM, so that he may dial in his desired mix percentage?
cj737

Oscar wrote:That gauge is configured for output PSI, not CFM. If using CFM as the sole indicator, wouldn't he need one configured for CFM, so that he may dial in his desired mix percentage?
Correct. There's 2 versions of that gauge, one is PSI the other is CFM. Both support Helium (and I do use the CFM models).
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Found this thru a Google search. Does this mean that since Argon and Helium are very close in numbers a flowmeter for Argon would work for Helium?

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

cj737 wrote:
Oscar wrote:That gauge is configured for output PSI, not CFM. If using CFM as the sole indicator, wouldn't he need one configured for CFM, so that he may dial in his desired mix percentage?
Correct. There's 2 versions of that gauge, one is PSI the other is CFM. Both support Helium (and I do use the CFM models).

Ah I see, I was wondering what was a good regulator for Helium. Thanks.

rahtreelimbs wrote:Found this thru a Google search. Does this mean that since Argon and Helium are very close in numbers a flowmeter for Argon would work for Helium?
I would venture to say that is incorrect, in general. That might be specific for that Dartmouth RTA thing, but look at this Miller flowmeter. Not that 10CFM of argon (well the ball location that is), is about ~23 CFM of Helium. Now I see why people, including Jody, say you just barely have to crack it open and float the ball above it's seat; it's a heck of a lot of flow, probably due to density differences.

kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Oscar wrote:
rahtreelimbs wrote:Found this thru a Google search. Does this mean that since Argon and Helium are very close in numbers a flowmeter for Argon would work for Helium?
I would venture to say that is incorrect, in general. That might be specific for that Dartmouth RTA thing, but look at this Miller flowmeter. Not that 10CFM of argon (well the ball location that is), is about ~23 CFM of Helium. Now I see why people, including Jody, say you just barely have to crack it open and float the ball above it's seat; it's a heck of a lot of flow, probably due to density differences.
You're right. http://mpbflowmeters.com/downloads/MPB_ ... rsions.pdf

Which gives a 3.19 factor when using an argon flowmeter with 100% helium ( Ar 1.18 / He 0.37 ) which is close to what a welding engineer suggested ( 3 to 3.5 ) we use while waiting for a helium flowmeter.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Can you use a TEE fitting to introduce the helium?

Many people do that.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I had a weak moment and just bought a mixer. ;)
Attachments
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG (88.66 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225