Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Futterama
    Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

Hello forum,

I'm new here and haven't even got my first welding machine yet, but I'm trying to figure out what accessories to buy to get me started with aluminium TIG welding.

My local aluminium sheet supplier seems to only stock the following sheet materials:
EN AW-1050A, AI99,5 H14
EN AW 5754, AlMg3 H22/32

According to the Alcotec filler chart I will be good with 4043/4047 filler for the 1050 sheets and the closest I could find for 5754 was 5454 and the chart says 5356 filler for that.

I will be welding thin sheet, like 0.5mm (0.020") and 1.0mm (0.040"). I have seen filler rod size recommendations say that the filler rod should have close to same thickness as the base material. All the normal length rods I can source seems to be 1.6mm (0.062") in diameter, way too thick for the smallest stuff.

So when looking for small diamter rod, I always find a spool of filler, probably for MIG welding, but would it work for TIG as well if the composition is right? The diameter I see most is 0.8mm (0.031").

In general, if the filler wire spools are without flux/gas would they work for TIG? Like, if I get my hands on some MAG wire for steel, would that work for TIG as well?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Jody for all those great videos on youtube!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For your initial practice, 4043 or 4943 filler will be fine. Both will flow well and blend well with either alloy. I have never used an aluminum filler smaller than 1/16" for anything.

Once you have experience, your alloy choice will depend more on the purpose. 5356 on your 5754 (which I'm not experienced with) will be a good match for mechanical properties, and will color properly if you anodize the metal. 4043 will always be a good choice for the 1050. Don't expect to anodize these softer alloys.

Just my two cents.

Steve
Futterama
    Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

So from what I can understand, you're saying just go with 1/16" filler wire even for material smaller than that?

One of my primary purposes with TIG welding is fabrication of exhaust mufflers for small 2-stroke gasoline engines used in model airplanes. I was thinking that the 5754 sheet would be the better choice for that application due to corrosion resistance and strength, but according to the Alcotec chart, only filler 5554 is recommended at elevated service temperatures. All the fillers listed for the 1050 sheet is good for elevated temperatures, which makes me think that perhaps that alloy is just better suited for my application, what do you think?

Filler 4047 should be extra good for welding air-tight joints due to a better flow than 4043, according to the Alcotec chart. And 5754 is not recommended for that type of filler it seems.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You can also use 1070 which is very ductile and give a softer weld than the other you mention. Don't expect to find Tig rods smaller than 1,6 though.

https://www.hilco-welding.com/wp-conten ... TIG)-E.pdf

You shouldnt have too much problems finding 1 or 1,2 mm mig wire
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Arc Zone sells 4043 in .035 and .045
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Skylineauto wrote:Arc Zone sells 4043 in .035 and .045
Yep. You can also use mug wire for filler material as well for that small.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Skylineauto wrote:Arc Zone sells 4043 in .035 and .045
We are in the EU :mrgreen:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

:lol:
MUG WIRE ! :lol:
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote::lol:
Ahh...you got me. Or maybe I invented something. Metal (coughs)underpaid gas. A sly way of telling your boss you deal serve more money.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Poland308 wrote::lol:
Ahh...you got me. Or maybe I invented something. Metal (coughs)underpaid gas. A sly way of telling your boss you deal serve more money.
Your killing me Smalls!
I have more questions than answers

Josh