Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I haven't had a lot of time to practice TIG lately, but today I crossed a big threshold. I welded something useful. Not practice. Something I actually need.

I bought a flex mount for an action camera (Gopro-type camera), and the clamp it came with was garbage. I replaced it with a better clamp from Home Depot, but the mount spun in the clamp because I used a round hole, not a flatted hole, to attach the mount. I cleaned the nut that attached the flex shaft to the clamp, and I welded it to the clamp with a heavy tack, and I welded the threaded part of the shaft to the nut so it wouldn't unscrew. Now it's not going anywhere!

Not a great weld, and not challenging, but at least I proved I can find a use for TIG. I could have used MIG, but it would have been awkward in the little space I had.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.

Go Chips! ;)
Richard
Website

Thanks. I know it's stupid to be so happy about what amounts to two tacks, but I never did anything useful with the TIG before.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I know the feeling. That's the greatest thing sometimes is just getting something back in use. No matter how simple it was.

I am quite happy with the modification. The camera mount is fantastic, but the clamp was just no good. A little bump could have knocked it loose and sent my camera to the pavement. I had a $5 Husky hand clamp sitting around, and the swap was very easy. Unfortunately, I paid $27 for the mount, figuring expensive Chinese was better than cheap Chinese.