Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

If you haven't noticed, Photobucket. com has decided to make the idiotic business destroying move of no longer allowing free 3rd Party hosting of photos, which is the primary reason why people use their site. They have replaced all links to their site that display photos such as in this forum and every other forum, with an 'error graphic' that states, 'Please Update Your Account for 3rd Party Hosting'. So basically they destroyed every forum on the planet where forum users use Photobucket, one of the most popular photo hosting sites. One could restore their ability to post 3rd Party photo links, for a ridiculous sum of $399 a year, which of course no one is about to pay as there are multiple other free photo hosting sites one can use, or people can rent their own webhost server space for under $10, so you have to wonder what the management at Photobucket were thinking... They basically destroyed their business in one simple move.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the warning out, though it really isn't much of a warning as if you try to use Photobucket for the first time, you'll instantly realize it can't be used to post your photo links on sites like this forum, but for you people who have been using Photobucket like myself, we're all screwed as all the posts we've posted in the past, are no longer displaying our photos, making many of our forum post useless.
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Didn't believe it till I read it.

I don't begrudge them wanting to make money. That should be their primary focus, however how did they come to the figure of $399US per year? Are they insane, wish I was a fly on the wall during that meeting.

I would certainly pay based on data and bandwidth but given data costs and what you get bandwidth wise from a web server how could they not foresee the backlash that would occur from this.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

I used to moderate another forum and we always urged the users to upload photos to the forum instead of using external hosts. Too often links went dead for various reasons. Of course a database can crash here too, notin is bullet proof.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Oh well, crap happens. I now use Google to store all my photos and link them from there. I downloaded all my albums from photobucket straight into my computer, which also has the Google Drive app sync'd from within a folder, so anything I store "to the computer" automatically gets uploaded to my Google drive which can host the photos no problem. You can even edit the photo on your computer, and upon saving the change, the Google Drive app will re-upload it for you without you doing anything on your part. The command to host the photo as an IMG is not displayed within Google Drive but I found it through searching. If anyone wants to know how to do this, I can help out easily, as I am a 10th Rank Black-belt Jedi when it comes to computers. :ugeek:

Oscar wrote:I am a 10th Rank Black-belt Jedi when it comes to computers. :ugeek:
...wishing you were Shaolin :lol:
Richard
Website

Can a 10th Rank Black-belt Jedi tell me why the forum width are so narrow. Seems like less than 1024

I prefer to host my images somewhere other than the forum only because I used to post a lot of large photos on a motorcycle forum and was trying not to up their bandwidth more than necessary due to server costs being an issue.

Thanks for the head up Oscar, I hadn't thought of Drive, my pics back up off my phone to Google+ Photos which can be shown within Drive. I already had no luck with getting links from Photos and a lot of people were pissed when they removed the functionality however I just stumbled on a direct link generator for Chrome while searching and voila. Just have to make sure the Photos folder you link from is public.

Just as a test this is first mig weld on ally with the new machine :)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde

Just wish there was an auto resize on the forum instead of chopping off the landscape pictures

That's a setting within the forum software that chops it off from view. In other forums, when you embed a large picture, it crams it right in and either makes you scroll to view it all, or it decreases the zoom so you see the picture, but everything else is smaller by the same amount. Unfortunately I don't have access to these or any forum settings here.

Thank you for consulting with Computer Jedi Masters, Inc, LLC. Your case ticket # is: 12345, should you need any further assistance, please reference this ticket number.

:mrgreen:

What I do is this. (it helps to have blank Google Doc or Word Doc open so you can paste and append text)

1. Make sure Link Sharing is "on" so that "anyone with the link can view" in your Google Drive.
2. use this between the Image code tags: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=
3. Copy the "shareable link" by right clicking on a pic in Google Drive.
4. Get the part after the "=" from the Shareable link, and put it at the end of the code from Line 2 above, after it's equal sign.
5. It would look something like this: Image

That's as simple as I can explain it. The forum easily recognizes this as the direct url address for the picture itself. Note that Line 5 above was generated by a picture screenshot that I saved, and used these very instructions. :)
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

imgur is the fastest method I know to upload and share pictures, you can just copy paste an image right into their page! I also use Flickr, easy to share to from my phone, previously I had a DSLR and used lightroom.

DennisCA wrote:imgur is the fastest method I know to upload and share pictures, you can just copy paste an image right into their page! I also use Flickr, easy to share to from my phone, previously I had a DSLR and used lightroom.
I agree. I do the Google Drive thing since this way I can just keep one file hosting service, and I really like the Google office apps that can open many different file types. But for pictures, yes there are easier, faster alternatives.