Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bville99gt
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Hi guys and gals, I am a brand new amateur welder. I bought an AHP alphatig from an authorized dealer on Ebay (Rockwelds), the unit is a refurbished 2016 model. I received it and quickly set it up with a full 80cf tank of argon and used 2% lanthanated tungsten. Made sure it was on 2T, DC, Tig, and no pulse modes and that the leads were DCEN (Tig torch negative, ground clamp positive). Gas flowing at 25cfh and checked for any leaks. Went to the work piece, hit the pedal, and no arc... I couldn't hear the buzzing noise from the High Frequency, got the tungsten closer and closer no dice. Changed to finger trigger and nothing, no arc or buzzing from the HF (tried on 2T and 4T). Got the tungsten so closed that I scratch the work piece and an arc was initiated, but still no noise from the HF. Opened the machine checked the HF points, clean them, and made sure that the gap was with 0.22-0.24", and still no HF.. tried all settings without having a HF start. I haven't try stick welding mainly because I dont have stick electrodes. Once I get an arc going via scratch everything else works. I also upped the flow of argon, checked for any disconnected wires but didn't see anything. I called AHP support but they were closed and will have to wait untill Tuesday because Monday I work all day. Just wondering if anyone has an input on this, thanks in advance for your time.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Just as a reference, the 25CFH is a lot higher than you need, and your issue is NOT Argon, its related to the device.

As long as you verify that the ground clamp to the machine and the work piece is in tact, and you have tried various settings and still get no HF start but do get Lift Arc/Scratch start, I'd say you accurately diagnosed a faulty unit. :cry:
Bville99gt
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 pm

cj737, yeah I the HF board is faulty it was confirmed by AHP support center. The place that I bought it from offered to send me a HF board to replace or send the unit for service, I opted for the board which should be arriving later this week. I will update my situation once I replace the board. Thanks for your response.