Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

cj737 wrote:
flylow188 wrote:Now I just need to decide on a good hole saw tubing notcher or just go with templates and grind them out.
I have this unit and have been very happy with it for Tube notching of motorcycle frames, bike frames, and other "stuff"
https://www.jd2.com/p-63-notchmaster.aspx
That notcher won't work for the application at hand. Smallest it goes is 3/4, and for a homebuilts airplane, that would be about the biggest size, most of the tubes will be 1/2 or 5/8. The Joint Jigger at aircraft Spruce would work, as would harbor freight.

Personally, I don't like tube notchers. There are a couple tube coping programs on the net that will print out the profile, you input the OD, wall, and angle. Cut it out, wrap it around the ind of the tube and mark, then cut it out on a grinder, or tin snips, or whatever. Another option if you have a large is to chuck an end mill the size of the butting tube, and set up a vice to the angle you need and feed the cross slide with the tube in the vice (my preferred method).

Depending on what airplane you are building, you might want to check if VR3 already has it modeled. They laser cut every tube so it literally falls into place. Costs a little extra, but everything fits the first time! They have a number of designs already modeled. You will still need to build an assembly jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene