Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DrivenToMake
    Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 pm

I bought a couple of pounds of 309L from Welding City off the net.

Unlike any other filler I've purchased from the LWS, none of it is stamped. Is filler like this typically stamped to identify what it is?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I've never seen filler rod that wasn't labeled in some way. I don't like the little paper tags they use, those things never stay on. Do you see any sign of adhesive on one end where there might have been tags that were taken off? My personal feeling about filler is that if it isn't labeled, it's scrap.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

What diameter is it? I have .045 stainless filler that isn't stamped, not sure if maybe 1/16" is the smallest dia that can stamped. I hate the flag tags also, some years ago I worked at an aerospace shop and most of the wires were colored coated at the end, we had a chart to lookup the bands for identification.
Richard
Website
DrivenToMake

LtBadd wrote:What diameter is it? I have .045 stainless filler that isn't stamped, not sure if maybe 1/16" is the smallest dia that can stamped. I hate the flag tags also, some years ago I worked at an aerospace shop and most of the wires were colored coated at the end, we had a chart to lookup the bands for identification.
It's .045.

You know what, maybe it's specialty fillers. The .045 er70 s-2 I have is stamped, but I just went and looked at the .045 silicon bronze I picked up the other day and it's not stamped either.

The 309l is not going to be for anything critical, but I just want to make sure that I'm okay reordering from some of these internet sources. It was a heck of a lot cheaper (less than half price, even with shipping) than buying it from my local welding shop.

Thanks for the reply.

DrivenToMake wrote: The 309l is not going to be for anything critical, but I just want to make sure that I'm okay reordering from some of these internet sources. It was a heck of a lot cheaper (less than half price, even with shipping) than buying it from my local welding shop.

Thanks for the reply.

You could try asking for a MTR with your order, or a certificate of compliance

You don't give a location in your profile, this can help us provide feedback in some circumstances
Richard
Website
DrivenToMake

LtBadd wrote:
DrivenToMake wrote: The 309l is not going to be for anything critical, but I just want to make sure that I'm okay reordering from some of these internet sources. It was a heck of a lot cheaper (less than half price, even with shipping) than buying it from my local welding shop.

Thanks for the reply.

You could try asking for a MTR with your order, or a certificate of compliance

You don't give a location in your profile, this can help us provide feedback in some circumstances
I'll keep that in mind. I suppose I would have to call them or put a note in the online order and hope they provide it.

I updated my profile. Thanks again.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I usually resort to getting filler from weldingsupply.com. Yea they order in bulk for some of their house brand wire, but I have a little more faith in them than welding city. Weldingsupply carries major manufacturer lines, so I guess that helps with my decision to order from them.
DrivenToMake

Oscar wrote:I usually resort to getting filler from weldingsupply.com. Yea they order in bulk for some of their house brand wire, but I have a little more faith in them than welding city. Weldingsupply carries major manufacturer lines, so I guess that helps with my decision to order from them.
Yeah, I almost ordered from them. Seems they are a much better deal if you have a bigger order. Next time I need gas lenses or some other consumable, I'll probably make a hefty order from Welding Supply and really stock up. I had a cart full of stuff and thought "I really don't need most of this yet".

Two pounds of 309 was like $29, vs $22 from Welding City. I went with the savings.

I ran a couple rods of the filler last night, just practicing and it went smoothly. Welded some stainless washers to some pieces of CR mild steel to make threaded adapters for my welding table.

I figure the filler is legitimate at my best very uneducated guess.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

The only filler rod that i have ever bought that wasnt stamped is titanium rod. But it had paper stickers on each end of the rod that labeled it.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT