Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

Just a general question as I'm always amazed with how people use their tools.

For my personal situation and to be specific, I'm looking into expanding my capabilities. I want to purchase what it takes to tig underneath and in vehicles with a syncrowave 250 dx. From reading the manual, it appears that there is programming for a finger switch? I currently have a CK 20 series rigid water cooled torch and it does everything perfect so far. This is just bench practice and repairs that are easy to get to.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

My two most used torches for position work are a 17 flex and a 9.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I have a size 9 flex head torch on a flex cable that is mostly set up with a Furick 14 cup on a gas lens, running a 2.4mm electrode.The torch has a paddle switch. I use this rig mostly for thin mild steel - the Furick cup gives me the ability to use more stick out but is also just great for visibility.

The torch I most commonly use is a size 17 flex head with a stubby gas lens (2.4mm) on a flex cable. I guess my most common size cup on this one would be a 6. The torch is also fairly nimble and I use it on aluminium as well as some steel work.

Neither torch is a name brand item - both are Chinesium. Cost is about $10 for the bare torches from memory.

My only other torch is a big size 26 on heavy cables and I never use it anymore. Too big, too heavy and cumbersome. I am waiting for a day when I am particularly angry and then I will probably just throw it at someone.

Moz
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

At work I use a watercooled CK Flexloc and it is incredible. I wore out a couple standard flex torches trying to get down in intakes etc. But the flexloc is great. 230 amp watercooled max (ive pushed beyond for a minute or so no problems) and you can also get an aircooled version that maxes out around 150 i believe.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

MosquitoMoto wrote:I have a size 9 flex head torch on a flex cable that is mostly set up with a Furick 14 cup on a gas lens, running a 2.4mm electrode.The torch has a paddle switch. I use this rig mostly for thin mild steel - the Furick cup gives me the ability to use more stick out but is also just great for visibility.
I forgot about the clear lenses. Being that some of the work will involve stainless and mild, I should probably add a couple of sizes to the budget.
weldit321@gmail.com wrote:At work I use a watercooled CK Flexloc and it is incredible. I wore out a couple standard flex torches trying to get down in intakes etc. But the flexloc is great. 230 amp watercooled max (ive pushed beyond for a minute or so no problems) and you can also get an aircooled version that maxes out around 150 i believe.
I noticed these when I was looking for my first torch. Sounds like you have a good job if they purchased that for you. The WC version seems to be the ultimate answer as I would like to have one set of consumables and lenses.

I'm predicting that I will max out at 135A which seems to be just past what an affordable "9" flex torch can do? I was advised to stay away from the flex heads as my only torch for the reasons mentioned.

What is everyone finding good for hand/finger controls? It seems that nobody likes any of them from what I'm reading.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

CK Trim line 300, CK 230 Flex, and weldtec 20 series.. I use the 230 the most..
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225