Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

On vacation. Never done this before but might be required to do it soon so off to the scrap pile for something to do a test joint with. The specification calls for a 60 degree bevel, a sleeve and one material thickness gap. Haven't done any aluminum for over a year so this will be interesting. Wish I had a smaller torch. I only have a 250 amp water cooled one at home and it's cumbersome. Pictures to follow, unless I really suck today :lol:
stefuel

No pictures yet. First attempt sucked. On the outside, the weld looks OK but I'm not penetrating into the sleeve. First problem was my gap was to tight. It's a tight 1/8th when it should have been closer to 3/16ths. My bevel is about 45 degrees. I forgot to mention that the spec also calls for pulse mig. I thought tig would be a stronger and cleaner weld. I did try a sharper point on the tungsten and higher frequency to try and focus more on the sleeve. It takes quite a bit of time to prep a sleeved joint so I'll try again tomorrow or Friday.
stefuel

Not a complete hack
Attachments
133.JPG
133.JPG (69.58 KiB) Viewed 805 times
stefuel

Started with this but tapped it together to close and it wouldn't pull apart so my gap was to narrow
Attachments
131.JPG
131.JPG (63.19 KiB) Viewed 803 times