Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Tigosaurus
    Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:18 pm

While welding some steel, I was having problems with contamination. I used the the bubble test and found a leak fore and aft of the main nut that connects with the argon tank. I had snugged the nut down tight. The argon tank is fairly new, but I'm not sure if it is the tank or the flow meter. I found a decent flow meter on the internet and considered ordering one for a backup if it didn't solve the problem. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell if it is the tank, or the flow meter?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Who owns the cylinder?

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

You can usually see visibly which is at fault - if it's the regulator you can normally dress it a bit - if it's old & battered & due for retirement then do so - if nothing else is wrong a bit of time dressing will work even if you have to unscrew the neck & mount it in a chuck & spin it against some fine abrasive - if it's the cylinder then ask the gas supplier about changing it - if they won't then consider spreading some valve grinding paste on the mating surfaces & gently lap the regulator to the bottles valve seat.
Tigosaurus
    Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:18 pm

The surfaces like fine, no visible problems on either. Thanks for the direction, I'll try getting a new flow meter first.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

It maybe worth a new regulator - where traditionally they seat metal to metal on the cylinder the new ones mostly come with a small O ring in a groove so will tolerate mild blemishes on the seats & don't need tightening up so much - makes sense as similar pressures are used for BA & scuba & they have sealed using O rings for years.