Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I recently did a repair on a Honda 950 engine casting. He too broke the timing chain and it broke out a piece of metal that was missing. Even though he disassembled it and degreased it. He pulled all the seals and the internals. I fought porosity. I had to use a small corse burr on a fordom flex shaft grinder to get in the crevices. Some places it welded real nice, but others especially around the casting sprues had to be welded and ground out 3 or 4 times before it cleared up.

Edit: I ended up buying a # 6 CK gas lenses with a Pyrex cup to be able to weld and see in those tight spaces.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Poland308 wrote:I recently did a repair on a Honda 950 engine casting. He too broke the timing chain and it broke out a piece of metal that was missing. Even though he disassembled it and degreased it. He pulled all the seals and the internals. I fought porosity. I had to use a small corse burr on a fordom flex shaft grinder to get in the crevices. Some places it welded real nice, but others especially around the casting sprues had to be welded and ground out 3 or 4 times before it cleared up.

Edit: I ended up buying a # 6 CK gas lenses with a Pyrex cup to be able to weld and see in those tight spaces.
Furick sells a really nice Ally 5 cup (standard collet body) that I've used doing similar repairs. I've also found that 50Hz works pretty well to put the first layers down, if any build-up is needed.
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Primarily in my case was a good cleaning due to the circumstances and it will happen again someone in a harry and in need with a dirty
oily crank case will show up . Can you tell if the use of steam cleaner would or will help to remove the mud and prepare the floor for a decent welding since I cant think of something better everything seems thats starts from there first a good cleaning
then weld
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Another thing too is that it really depends on where you are located and where you're aluminum comes from. Like for some reason my suppliers aluminum, while decently well priced, always has almost a thin layer of oil on it and requiresa good cleaning before welding. I've tried welding it without cleaning it once and it did. not. work.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

ESENTI wrote:Primarily in my case was a good cleaning due to the circumstances and it will happen again someone in a harry and in need with a dirty
oily crank case will show up . Can you tell if the use of steam cleaner would or will help to remove the mud and prepare the floor for a decent welding since I cant think of something better everything seems thats starts from there first a good cleaning
then weld
Steam cleaning will help, but it won't get deep enough to do a proper job. Any quality degreaserolution will help. Preheat to drive impurities out before and after, and keep a weld-safe solvent around to clean the surface before welding.