Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jalmon18
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

I use a high frequency box with an ac dc stick generator and stick welder at work and in the feild all the time for tig welding aluminum.. nvr use a pedal I was wondering your take on this I have great results as long as I has a copper spoon to run off on but I can't seem to find anyone else that does this regularly can't find any videos either.. is it really that rare?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

In my opinion it's not really common except in the field.

I've done it down to 1/16" material and it's not terribly fun with the thin stuff.

1/8" and up it's not too bad - but I really like my foot control and use it almost exclusively now :D

I still have a high freq box but have not turned it on in a long time. Only kept it around for my engine drive.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I use Lift Arc and static amps when tacking large projects. If I were a better welder, heck, I'd probably throw my damn pedal away except for when I'm sitting at my table welding small stuff :oops:

cj737 wrote:I use Lift Arc and static amps when tacking large projects. If I were a better welder, heck, I'd probably throw my damn pedal away except for when I'm sitting at my table welding small stuff :oops:
Lift arc on aluminum?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
cj737 wrote:I use Lift Arc and static amps when tacking large projects. If I were a better welder, heck, I'd probably throw my damn pedal away except for when I'm sitting at my table welding small stuff :oops:
Lift arc on aluminum?
Yes. Perhaps I stuttered when I typed it?

cj737 wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
Lift arc on aluminum?
Yes. Perhaps I stuttered when I typed it?
I just haven't seen an AC lift arc machine - only DC.

No, you didn't stutter. But you also didn't specify, so I asked.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can run that way with my thermal arc 186 if you so choose.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:You can run that way with my thermal arc 186 if you so choose.
That's pretty cool, I haven't used one yet that did that.
Only would have worked with a torch switch.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I prefer the torch switch as well. But I had my scratch start rig already set up and didn't want to switch out torches, had just a little spot that needed about 2 inches of weld and made it work good enough. Think I would need more practice if I was going to do something more important. Over all it's not that much different than running straight amps with the button.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
croshaul
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

I have a Hi-Freq box that was the only way to weld aluminum 40 years ago. It has the torch trigger.It is a rough machine but it does the job just not with much finesse.I have since picked up an HTP 221 Invertig that leaves the box on the shelf.