Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Groisch
    Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 pm

I just started tig welding aluminum and I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. The machine is an ahp alpha tig 200x and the setting I've been using are 150 amps, 3/32 blue tungsten, 25 scfh of argon, 120hz and 35% ac balance. I have just been trying to practice on some 4043 1/8 flat bar. As soon as I light the arc no puddle forms and the whole piece of metal melts. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'll attach a picture below. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG (38.84 KiB) Viewed 909 times
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Honestly, it looks like you're welding DC.

Also, such small piece will heat saturate quickly so you need to back off the current a lot when it start melting.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

6061 ? or hardware store special.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Groisch

rick9345 wrote:6061 ? or hardware store special.
Hardware store special
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I've seen 3000 series aluminum behave like that too. It's a major PITA to weld.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I don't think it's a welding on DC issue... I think your amperage might just be way too high... Or you got some crazy weird aluminum... Try taking a stainless brush and scrub the crab out of it, acetone wipe it really well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

25 cfh argon is high, isn't it? i recall reading that too high a flow rate can draw in ambient atmosphere and contaminate the weld. The Miller weld calculator can provide the proper flow rate.

Also, some flow meters are graduated in liters per minute, rather than cubic ft per hour.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I wonder if its some kind of off/on setting where he is getting all 150 amps at the start. I dont know that machine at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Artie F. Emm wrote:25 cfh argon is high, isn't it? i recall reading that too high a flow rate can draw in ambient atmosphere and contaminate the weld. The Miller weld calculator can provide the proper flow rate.

Also, some flow meters are graduated in liters per minute, rather than cubic ft per hour.
Most the guys at my work weld at 25 cfh on aluminum I'm around 15 but it works for them. It'll just be a duller looking weld not as shiny.

When you're welding do you hear an annoying buzz? Or does it sound the same as when you're welding steel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Groisch

5th Street Fab wrote:
Artie F. Emm wrote:25 cfh argon is high, isn't it? i recall reading that too high a flow rate can draw in ambient atmosphere and contaminate the weld. The Miller weld calculator can provide the proper flow rate.

Most the guys at my work weld at 25 cfh on aluminum I'm around 15 but it works for them. It'll just be a duller looking weld not as shiny.

When you're welding do you hear an annoying buzz? Or does it sound the same as when you're welding steel?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I know I'm on ac not dc cause I can change the frequency and it sounds different each time