Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Wifecallsmegrumpy
    Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

Hi everyone, new to TIG welding and as a desk pusher I don't have much time to practice but I thought I was getting a handle on it but it's all gone bonkers... I have a cigweld 200a Ac/dc machine, I went to see the junk man and he gave me a bunch of Ali offcut plate to practice on (2-4mm), I have cleaned with SS brush, wipe clean, 115 amps, (trigger not pedal) 110freq, 35 balance, 3/32 lanth electrode, gas lens, 10 l/min Ar.

Then I get black craters !! No amount of trying setting changes has fixed it, any advice appreciated !
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Black craters sounds like a gas issue. Or severe oil contamination.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi grumpy, welcome to the forum. You in Oz?

I have a number of comments:

Firstly I would check your gas flow. Obviously if there is a leak in your system that would be a problem and is easy to find with a soapy water squirter bottle pressure test. If you have a regulator with two gauges on it, one for cylinder pressure and one for torch flow, don't believe it. They are notorious for being inaccurate. You should get a proper flow meter attachment or buy a low cost flow checker like this https://www.ebay.com.au/i/272823493219? ... dispItem=1

Secondly your power source balance setting is a percentage of electrode positive (cleaning action). Worthwhile trying at about 15% first and then stepping up incrementally as required. Make sure your torch is connected to the -ve terminal of your power source and the work return lead to the +ve terminal.

Thirdly, I bought one of these power sources when they first came out to practice for my certs. We were using Millers at Tafe and I couldn't work our why my welds at Tafe were good but at my shop with this power source were crappy. I called in a buddy to try it and we both came to the same conclusion that this power source had a weird arc and was complete and utter JUNK!!! I sold it the next day and bought Miller and no more problems. Been one eyed Blue ever since.

My 2c worth.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Looking at images of your welder and its pretty much the same as I have but different color.

Take a look at this thread on page 2.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 2&start=10

If it looks like the same problem you have I might have an easy fix for you.
If the machines are the same there is a dip switch behind the front panel. I dont remember exactly how to set it but it was like magic for me.

Just dont play around with it because you can disable all safety controls with one of them.
Wifecallsmegrumpy
    Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

Thank guys,

Coldman, yes in perth
For a hobbiest I don't think I can afford to upgrade so might be stuck with fixing this problem. I switched back to a ball type flow meter and the problem is a lot better, so I'll keep practicing my beads although they are very grainy. I'll have to work out how to post pics on this site.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Ah Perth. Great city. Loved working over there. At that time there were statistically 5 gals to 3 blokes....
Beer was nice too.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'