It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 am Advanced search

Tack with TIG without Argon

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Tack with TIG without Argon

Postby zamanali » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi
Just a quick question, I wonder would it be even slightly possible that i tack weld some thin stainless steel with TIG WITHOUT argon gas?
Thanks in advance for any advice
zamanali

Re: Tack with TIG without Argon

Postby AndersK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi and welcome.

You can but it will be weak, ugly and you will have tungsten spatter burned in.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby zamanali » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks much for the prompt reply.

Would it be possible to request Jody or his team to make a short video doing it with Argon and without Argon to compare the difference?

It would be really educational/experimental for newbie to see the result of how much effect can Argon make even for just a fraction of a second in TIG welding.

Sometime the question comes in mind that how fast can argon flow to the weld area in just that fraction second when the switch is pressed on the TIG torch; maybe the argon couldn't even reach the weld area and the switch is pulled back during the tack.
zamanali

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZsbSRdz55g

That video is without the wrong gas. The results would be similar I would assume.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby AndersK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

zamanali wrote:Sometime the question comes in mind that how fast can argon flow to the weld area in just that fraction second

Thats why there is pre-flow. The gas will flow for a certain time (adjustable time on most machines) before the arc ignites to protect the tungsten.
AndersK
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Welding without gas is why we have stick welding! Let us know what kind of machine you have because most tig machines are capable of stick.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby weldin mike 27 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 am

Without gas the tungsten turns into a sparkler, burns and disintegrates in no time flat. There is no possibility of welding anything. Except maybe the electrode to the inside of your torch.
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby zamanali » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 am

Glad to receive good advices.

Please correct me if I am wrong, in other words, the argon gas not only serves to shield the weld puddle, but also it serves to protect the tungsten?
Then wouldn't it make the pre-flow a MUST for all welders?
I am worried for the model i have, not sure if it has pre-flow?
btw, are their any specification about the different tungstens for their time tolerance without argon before it burns out?
zamanali

Postby LtBadd » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:59 am

zamanali wrote:Glad to receive good advices.

Please correct me if I am wrong, in other words, the argon gas not only serves to shield the weld puddle, but also it serves to protect the tungsten?
Then wouldn't it make the pre-flow a MUST for all welders?
I am worried for the model i have, not sure if it has pre-flow?
btw, are their any specification about the different tungstens for their time tolerance without argon before it burns out?

TIG welding has been around for many years before the added function of pre-flow, if your worried just tap on the pedal to start the flow then position the torch and begin welding.

There are no such specifications that I have ever seen
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:34 am

TIG without gas will burn up the tungsten immediately. Pre-flow is not required. Shielding and tungsten cooling is purpose of the gas.
cj737
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding