Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Why would you want to do this? It just seems like an odd question, like "Can I run my car engine without oil, just to run to the store?"
zamanali
    Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

I watched the Jody video regarding speed tacking with a blast of amps for thin metals, and was curios about how much argon gas is really working and affecting during that fraction of a second.

Originally the question without Argon gas was only for "Tacking" and not for a complete continuous weld.

I do understand welding with TIG without argon gas is a No-No, but that "speed tacking" by Jody is not in any welding Textbook but working marvelously.

It made me wonder during that "speed tack", does it provide enough time for things to get messed up real bad? or will it be just fine? or maybe it could be some sort of acceptable? those are still untested and unseen ?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

zamanali wrote:I watched the Jody video regarding speed tacking with a blast of amps for thin metals, and was curios about how much argon gas is really working and affecting during that fraction of a second.

Originally the question without Argon gas was only for "Tacking" and not for a complete continuous weld.

I do understand welding with TIG without argon gas is a No-No, but that "speed tacking" by Jody is not in any welding Textbook but working marvelously.

It made me wonder during that "speed tack", does it provide enough time for things to get messed up real bad? or will it be just fine? or maybe it could be some sort of acceptable? those are still untested and unseen ?
Go ahead and see if everyone is somehow wrong and that tacking is just fine as long as it's quick.

I seriously doubt you will like the outcome, but from what I've read it seems you keep asking the same question - fire it up and try it and let us know - lol :D

Btw, speed tacking is not against textbooks. It's just tacking with more amps in less time - some very small parts are actually spot welded this way.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
zamanali
    Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

here, i couldn't test it myself for some reason
i was hoping to see if anyone tested it out before, at least i learnt from others experience, if not from the exact test
about the spot weld you mentioned, i suppose those are without any shielding gas, isn't it ?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Most spot welds are done with copper contacts that have to be replaced often due to the pitting from the process. That’s like comparing apples and oranges.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

zamanali wrote:I watched the Jody video regarding speed tacking with a blast of amps for thin metals, and was curios about how much argon gas is really working and affecting during that fraction of a second.

The effect of gas is immediate. Running anything without gas that should have gas causes immediate porosity. A fraction of pre-flow/post flow secures the tack from outside contaminants in the air.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

When you TIG weld, in addition to providing a shield of inert gas, the argon or helium ionizes into plasma, providing a conductive path for the current to flow from the tungsten to the work.

Air ... not so much. Plus there's all that oxygen (21%), just itching to react and combine with molten metals! BOOM

Hint: Without INERT GAS, you don't have Tungsten INERT GAS (TIG) welding.
Last edited by Lightning on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

...and if you watch, when Jody (or anyone competent) who does speed tack, hovers momentarily over the tack to allow the shielding gas to cool the tack and tungsten. Most machines have some amount of post flow or user set post flow to cool the tungsten and protect the weld.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Poland308 wrote:Most spot welds are done with copper contacts that have to be replaced often due to the pitting from the process. That’s like comparing apples and oranges.
I was actually only referring to the tig spot weld. Basically just speed tacks and sometimes done with a spot timer for consistency.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Well there’s that too.
I have more questions than answers

Josh