Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mikey 028
    Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello all.Im trying to find someone who welds manganese and see if they can tell me how to eliminate weld cracking when i start welding in a different area. The parts are wear caps on a large hammer mill. The material is about 3/4" thick and i have a short window of time to get them welded
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Mikey,
manganese wear steels (usually quenched and tempered) should really be welded to a WPS. You should ask for one, they may have it.

In general for these type of wear plates etc, you would need at least 200*F preheat, peening each pass with something like a needle gun while above 750*F and finally slow cooling of the completed weld. Peening below 750*F can cause cracking.
Hydrogen controlled electrodes should be used and all surfaces must be clean prior to welding.

There are many different types of manganese steel, each can have slightly different temps to the above so it really is worthwhile knowing exactly what you've got and using a WPS.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Have a look at this for ideas too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqq3xv7HfxU
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'