Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Mojo88 wrote:Or should I be trying to get all four numbers fused together? It seems like a daunting task and I am a relative noob at TIG.
These are not that difficult... The pipe should slip inside the flex joint a little distance.

You then just use enough filler to basically weld the whole 'stack' together and create a nice bead that locks it all together. 2.4mm filler tends to be a nice size for this to wet it all out and fill the spaces.

You probably won't be able to get into the 'root' of the connection completely as the gap remains too big there, but in the end you should aim to have the weld bead fully attached to the outer 'ring' in the end.

Just put about 4 to 8 tacks around the join to keep it all in place, get comfortable, purge the back and start welding in sections. Let it cool after each 1/8 section so you don't overheat the part.

Bye, Arno.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I’m with Poland308 on this one. Expand the pipes so they slide over the retaining rings and butt up to the ring collar. Simple fusion weld then that won’t overheat the ring causing it to lose grip on the braid.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

expanding on Poland308, idea maybe you can find a reducer to fit over the coupling and into the exhaust pipe.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
HoodLyfe
    Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Kinda similar ? I believe this flex section had the same strands, I just grinded flat.

ImageImage

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk