Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Well, I bought a 280dx last November.

I was on the Miller webpage the other day and noticed there is a newer software version you can download and put in the welder.

Question is whether I should? My thinking is that it works perfect for me as is. I don't update my phones any more as I seem to have to buy new ones after a few revisions. It's like the revisions require better phones and I lost performance after several upgrades.

I realize I am comparing Ford's to Ferraris...
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.

Hope someone can respond who's done the updates, after being on this, and the Miller forum for several years I've never read a post about such a complaint.
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I would provide this general feedback: always read the Update Notes to understand what the software revision is addressing.

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/sys ... g-software

It would appear that there are a few “fixes” with this revision, there are a few “enhancements” and some general stability fixes. If you don’t find yourself suffering from the issues addressed, then you can normally skip an update. However, some later updates may depend upon the presence of prior updates (for instance, you wouldn't be able to move from 1.04 to 1.2 because the intermediate 1.1 was not present).

Normally if there are stability fixes, I upgrade. But I have no actual experience with this upgrade. Hope this helps?
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm real unclear; some of these changes seem to be fixes. Are they free?

A while ago the amplitude download was available I believe at a cost of $500.00 Mike Zanconato did it, he felt it was worth it. I'm less of a genius, I doubt I could tell the difference.

Bill Beauregard wrote:I'm real unclear; some of these changes seem to be fixes. Are they free?
Yes
Richard
Website
    Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

I have updated my Dynasty 400 2 times with no problems. The only thing is you can't use a Mac to load the memory card. The first update changed some options in the water cooler modes and some other features. The second update controlled the fan on demand a little better. Before if the machine was sitting idle for a while the fan would come on. Now,not so much.

HUGH
:)
Every day is a gift.... Enjoy them!!!