Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Same problem. Just bought another ADF helmet. My Lincoln hood was solar, after too many yrs, too many recharge cycles, was getting undependable, getting flashed way too many times. Supposed to get my new Antra helmet tomorrow. $100.00, 1/1/1/1 clarity.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

LtBadd wrote:Advanced technology strikes!
At the beginning of the space race, an old story was NASA spent $$ on developing a pen that would write in the absence of gravity, while the Russians simply used a pencil.
I love those Fisher Space Pens!

Oddly, took me quite a while to find a similar substitute, which I use with wood. They are pressurized like the Fisher Space Pens so you can mark at any angle, even upside down, plus they use an ink that is not susceptible to water, so if you're marking outside the rain it won't wash it away. They don't mark on metal though...:(

These are the ones I found, made in Japan, you can get a thin .7 tip. I mark timber with these and split the line with an Olfa cutter.

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Power-Tank- ... nk/pd/2904

I like the blue ink, it's easier to see than the black for me. I keep red also in case I make a mistake...yeah, doesn't happen often, I think I remember making a mistake once...:roll:

Alan

aland wrote:
I love those Fisher Space Pens!

Oddly, took me quite a while to find a similar substitute, which I use with wood. They are pressurized like the Fisher Space Pens so you can mark at any angle, even upside down, plus they use an ink that is not susceptible to water, so if you're marking outside the rain it won't wash it away. They don't mark on metal though...:(

These are the ones I found, made in Japan, you can get a thin .7 tip. I mark timber with these and split the line with an Olfa cutter.

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Power-Tank- ... nk/pd/2904

I like the blue ink, it's easier to see than the black for me. I keep red also in case I make a mistake...yeah, doesn't happen often, I think I remember making a mistake once...:roll:

Alan
Thanks for the link, I like a fine writing instrument, especially at that price
Richard
Website
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I just gave a friend of mine a spare working old auto dark helmet when his started malfunctioning like described. I told him to check if his old helmet had a battery backup and if so check it. It had an exterior shade control and when he pulled out the cartridge he found a tiny broken wire in the connecting cable that could have been jiggling around and causing the problems? I have just ordered a new helmet with all controls on the cartridge in one sealed unit.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

LtBadd wrote:Thanks for the link, I like a fine writing instrument, especially at that price
You can get them on ebay or Amazon in packs of 10 for even less, like $1-$2/each when you buy in packs of 10. :)

You can still buy the Fishers, but they are like $15-$20/each the last I checked.

The way I got my first Fisher was through a friend of our family that would come over for the holiday dinner with our family, it always moved to a different house each year. The husband was an Aerospace Engineer who worked for McDonald Douglass. He gave me one as a Xmas present one year when I was a kid, in fact he gave all of my cousins one (8 of us).

So much we gain from the space program in an indirect way...I bet that is true for welding in general, but have no direct experience.

And to keep this thread on track. Let me add my limited experience with helmets. I have a non-auto-darkening helmet which can be difficult to use, but it's good to always one at least one non-auto-darkening helmet, IMO, take that with a grain of sale.

Even the cheap auto-darkening helmet can make it easier to weld, but they seem to have trouble at the bottom end of amperage, and that's the area that is especially important with tig.

I was thinking about buying the HF, but decided to get a Miller. Your eyes are especially important to you, if you don't take an interest in your eyes, the HF will probably do fine. If you do take an interest in your eyes, look elsewhere for lack of better pun/analogy...;)
tungstendipper wrote:My Lincoln 3350 is doing the same thing. Hmmm?
td, you might be able to get a new lens for your Lincoln 3350, or even contact Lincoln and see what they say, maybe they'll send you a new one for free! Stranger things have happened...:D

Alan