Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

I own an MMA welder DC inverter with tig lift option and end of arc regulation (PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL)

I like to use the tig function to make small tools gigs, etc

Some people said me that we use much gas when using those valve torch, I do not get why , can you tell me if that is true ?

DO I need to consider the thicknesses I am prone to weld and buy the torch corresponding (I need 9,8 mm and 11mm -0,385" " and 0,433" are those standard dimensions worldwide ? ) or is there one torch that can use different buses (up to 200A) ?

Thanks , sorry I tried to understand but all the videos are in English so the numbers do not mean much for me
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

17 torch is rated for 150amps, but you can use it higher for short periods. It’s air cooled and will get hot.

A torch with a gas valve requires you to open and close it to allow gas to flow. It might use more gas overall because you start the flow, then situate yourself to weld, then strike an arc. Then, when you’re done, you have to remember to close the valve. A machine a solenoid to regulate the flow will always produce the flow for the time required, plus a post flow to cool the tungsten. I don’t think overall either uses more or less where it will impact you financially.
olek

Thank you, I see..
17 torch is a standard name for valve torch? Are all body size the same?

Can I mount a large and a thinner buse and tips on the same torch?

Even if those need 2different gas flow?(just want to know what do I need to buy)

Once valve closed, no leak is expected, but I suppose we close the bottle too (at the end of the job?)

Regards
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A 17is a size of torch. It accepts different sized tungstens and cups, as all torches do. The “type” of torch body is described as “gas valve” and I’d encourage you to also get a flexible head type.
https://store.cyberweld.com/weldcraft-w ... gLr3_D_BwE

You can see the gas valve on this torch, and the “bellows”that allow the head to flex. At the connection end, it is sized for your gas/work cable to support 150amp connectors. Larger amperage torches use larger hoses on many models.

Yep, good practice to close the bottle too when done.
olek

Thank you. It is clearer..

Olek
Here is CK Worldwide website, you can view all the torches along with various cup, collet bodies and other accessories. You can also download their product catalog
Richard
Website