Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ryan.k.mcdaniel
    Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:31 pm

A couple older rig welders I worked with told me it is better to convert an oxygen regulator over to fit on an argon bottle than use a flow meter. These guys did a lot of pipe work in plants and in the field. When asked if it wastes argon they said something like "yeah, a little bit, but the company is supplying it". Does any body else do this?
KenK
    Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

There really is no difference between a Oxygen regulator and an Argon regulator except for the bottle fitting. That being said, I would have not problem with going from Oxygen to Argon but, NOT THE OTHER WAY!! Oxygen regulators are put through a special cleaning process to INSURE that there is NO hydrocarbons in them. This is very important as mixing any kind of hydro carbon with oxygen can result in a EXPLOSION!!!!.

As for the flow meter on the argon flow, If it were me, I would use a flow meter, argon is expensive and I am the one paying for it.

An additional side note, I kind of set the argon flow based on how the weld is going. If it is oxidized there is an argon flow problem. It could be to high or to low. Adjust to correct the problem.

Ken
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

A regulator for most compressed gases does not care what it's used for as long as it's rated for the working pressure - a decent oxygen regulator is in my opinion way better than those retarded flow meters that have a set pressure anything up to 80 psi causing huge surge every time the machine solonoid operates - a 2stage regulator is best though a single will do - add a floating ball gauge / needle valve cheaply from Ebay for fine control / visual flow setting & this will give you accurate flow & save gas.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

To make this conversion you'd have to swap out the inlet nipple nut from CGA 540 (oxygen) to CGA 580 (inert). Apparatus repair places use a kind of nut to lock the nipple and nut together, and then get a wrench on the hex side of the tool to un-thread the nipple from the regulator body. Then lock the nipple and CGA 580 nut together so you can thread the argon nipple into the regulator body. Not sure if the oxygen nipple has the same profile as the argon nipple- they may be different? Then figure out the outlet side: you may be able to attach a barb fitting onto the hose connection.

It's do-able, I guess; everyone has their own tolerance level for "enough of this crap already". I wonder if your rig welder friends had to make something happen, like they were deployed to a work site with short resources on short notice, and this is what they came up with.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
KenK
    Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

I concur with Nobbybrian's comment concerning the use of a cheap single stage regulator. Switching to a cheap single stage oxygen regulator may not be an improvement at all if the regulator does not work properly. A two stage regulator is by far the best way to go.

I have a oxygen regulator that is lousy. It is a pain in the neck to get a oa torch running and stable, using it on a TIG machine would NOT work.

Most welding shops can get you any CGA fitting you need. The nipples and nuts are sold as a set
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I had'nt figured issues with cylinder fittings as over here things are simple - all cylinders share the same fitting - except CO2 - ( fuel gases having left handed thread ) & regulators are almost universally 3/8" BSP as are machine gas fittings / Tig torches - I would add if using a non shielding gas specific regulator avoid high pressure low cost types often found on site for cutting - they tend not to give good stable flow at they're lowest pressure settings whereas a 2stage oxy gauge for welding will ( good point KenK ) maybe if your going this route hook up a torch with your smallest nozzle like a #1 and see if the flame is stable using the regulator you intend to re-purpose.