Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Tdsal2
    Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:52 am

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to TIG welding. I weld flatware, bike chains etc into sculptures, so pretty thin metals. I use a Bossweld EVO 140, which means i need to scratch start.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what i'm doing wrong here (or if it's just an unavoidable issue). I find that the welding is hottest immediately it starts, and then cools down dramatically. So that means that if I either bump up the amperage (and risk doing damage at the beginning, but weld okay after initial overheat), or I stop and start welding so i continually have the higher tempreture. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? Why does it drop temp so quickly please?

Thanks for any ideas,
Todd
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Are you using a foot pedal or torch switch to control the amperage? Or are you fixed amperage? If fixed, what amps are you set to for running?

A trick you can use is to light up on an adjacent piece of scrap, then wick your torch over to your work once the arc stabilizes. Prevents hot starts from blowing you out on thin material.

A bit more info might yield better answers-