Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
JDMav
    Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

I have a mid 80's Linde HF 250 machine. I notice that the tip of my electrode does not have a sharp ball of fire off of the tip of the electrode. When I start a weld, there is a charge that jumps off my electrode further up that looks like miniature lightning. If I mash the foot control, this clears up and I get a good ball off the electrode, but not like I see in some of the videos. Is this my machine or a setting I dont have right?

Thanks
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

Could very well be contamination, or depletion of the rare earth elements. Another possibility is that the tip is ground round ways instead of long ways too. If you can give us more info it will be easier to track down and help. Things like material, amps, gas and flow rate, machine settings and polarity or whether your on AC or DC. It all makes a difference in one way or another, HTH
Bob
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

Could very well be contamination, or depletion of the rare earth elements. Another possibility is that the tip is ground round ways instead of long ways too. If you can give us more info it will be easier to track down and help. Things like material, amps, gas and flow rate, machine settings and polarity or whether your on AC or DC. It all makes a difference in one way or another, HTH
Bob