Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Greybeard
    Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Would anyone know what the material is that the white cup isolators are made of?
Some sort of plastic.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

PTFE aka Teflon
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Some one is trying to make their own cup, I see! Let's see pics!! :lol:
Greybeard

Oscar wrote:Some one is trying to make their own cup, I see! Let's see pics!! :lol:
"No try, just do!".
:D
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Oscar wrote:Some one is trying to make their own cup, I see! Let's see pics!! :lol:
I'm a machinist as well as a welder. The machining time to make an insulator-much cheaper to buy one. Just my opinion. Maybe he's bored and wants to play with a lathe.http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/p ... 5&p=101431#
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ Greybeard - both PEEK (polyetheretherkeotone) and PTFE (polytetraflouroethylene) are used as thermoplastic-based isolators for TIG torches.

In the two graphs below, PEEK is the upper bar while PTFE is the lower bar for a given Thermal Property or Mechanical Property.

We've used both materials for large diameter #20 cups....not the isolator, but the actual cup....that we subtractively (i.e. machined via lathe) manufactured as proof-of-concepts for low duty cycle & heat input on Titanium.

Note, both materials have near-identical Solidus (melting) melting temps, while PEEK slays PTFE 3:1 in the heat deflection temp property.

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.57.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.57.30 AM.png (39.47 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.57.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.57.46 AM.png (125.02 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Greybeard

'Stang wrote:
I'm a machinist as well as a welder. The machining time to make an insulator-much cheaper to buy one. Just my opinion. Maybe he's bored and wants to play with a lathe.http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/p ... 5&p=101431#
I'm right here, you can address your comments directly.
I'm long past retirement and still "play" with my lathes, milling machines and welders every day.
Yes, plural...I've been around.
It doesn't take a genius to know (and point out) that it's "cheaper" to buy certain items.
Cost isn't the question.
Curiosity is in what time I have left.
That's based on arriving at the point where I recognized that I actually don't know everything in the world, but now can
indulge my curiosity.
And am I havin' fun!! :D
Don't kill your curiosity.
Bottom line is NOT everything. ;)
Greybeard

Arclight Ironworks wrote:@ Greybeard - both PEEK (polyetheretherkeotone) and PTFE (polytetraflouroethylene) are used as thermoplastic-based isolators for TIG torches.

In the two graphs below, PEEK is the upper bar while PTFE is the lower bar for a given Thermal Property or Mechanical Property.

We've used both materials for large diameter #20 cups....not the isolator, but the actual cup....that we subtractively (i.e. machined via lathe) manufactured as proof-of-concepts for low duty cycle & heat input on Titanium.

Note, both materials have near-identical Solidus (melting) melting temps, while PEEK slays PTFE 3:1 in the heat deflection temp property.

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.57.30 AM.png
Huge thanks and thanks to all who replied!
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Greybeard wrote: ....havin' fun!! :D
Don't kill your curiosity.
... ;)
Can I have an AMEN for my brother Greybeard?

AMEN!
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Amen
I have more questions than answers

Josh