Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I have a friend who wants a nipple welded in a stainless beer keg. I'm worried about sugaring the backside on something so thin. Is there a way to do it without a purge? I'm assuming I should pulse something that thin, any ideas of a starting point for amperage?

I've asked him for a piece of the scrap when he gets done cutting and fitting for me to try some things on too.

Thanks!
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There’s a product (I think it’s called Solar Paste) some here have used it you may be able to search posts for pictures of the results.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Solar flux is what you need, but it will leave a grey glass like coating as it bakes in, and it isn't food safe.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Can't be the first time anyone's ever pondered this. Can the nipple braze in?

Why not purge? Calculate the volume of the keg, add a Y connection to the flowmeter, run argon until the air is displaced, then weld?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I think I'm better off not being lazy and just going ahead and setting up a purge. Kind of thinking about buying a dual flowmeter.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.

FitNPipe wrote: Kind of thinking about buying a dual flowmeter.
HTP (USA Weld) has a economical dual flow meter, mine has been in service for about one year.
Richard
Website
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ FitNPipe - consider an alternate approach. Silver (4-6%) Soldering. If you do elect to apply traditional TIG the fuse the assembly, def practice-learn-practice-learn- - prior to arclight on the actual keg. Common wall thicknesses for Sankey style SS kegs are 14 ~ 18 gauge. Fitup needs to exacting for best results.

Vid of a brewing fabricator using silver solder and Tri-Clover fittings.

https://youtu.be/_NkHlDql8EU
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I bought a T. For a time I stole the flow meter off the MIG for purging. Stainless welds very nice once you solve the purge issue. I have Solar Flux, I have not been totally successful using it.

Willie
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

I have done this many times on brew kettles. I used stay silver solder with stay brite flux,first we drew a stainless reducer through the hole to get it to pucker from the inside,it leaves a nice little well on the inside for the solder to set in,then pre wrapped solder rings over the nipple,the fluxes it,and heated ot till the solder flowed,it has worked great for many batches!