Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
TheBeardedWelder
    Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am

Really basic here I think but wouldn't mind this explained.

I ran across this in the reference side of a blueprint the other day.

** Weld size to be 1x the minimum material thickness **

So just wondering if that means what i think it means.. If the material is 1/2" that then states that the fillet weld is supposed to be 1/2??

Thanks in advanced!!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If both sides are 1/2inch then yes. But if your welding 1/4 to 1/2 then 1/4inch would be the requirement.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

"If both sides are 1/2inch then yes. But if your welding 1/4 to 1/2 then 1/4inch would be the requirement."

josh
would the inverse (welding a piece of 1/2" to a larger piece of `1/4") be the proper assumption?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

According to the note he quoted. That is a common note. Every inspector I’ve dealt with has interpreted it that way. If it’s a fillet weld then what piece is being welded on to the other is irrelevant, as long as it matches the requirements of the thinner metal. Think Jody talked about it some in one of his recent videos. You can buy a gauge set that checks the leg length and the thickness of the throat.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ TheBeardedWelder - what welding code/specification is the basis for your blueprint?

Background context for you regarding fillet weld sizing. Most commonly in blueprints, the 'size of the weld' is the leg length, not the throat dimension.
fillet weld and groove diagram.gif
fillet weld and groove diagram.gif (71.33 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

From a design perspective, all welds are assumed to fail in shear. The Minimum Size of Fillet Weld tables below are from AWS D1.1 (2000), AWS D1.1 (2010), and AWS D14.4 (2012). D1.1 is Structural Welding Code - Steel; D14.4 is Specification for the Design of Welded Joints in Machinery and Equipment.

AWS D1.1 (2000)
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.41.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.41.30 AM.png (355.68 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
:: for base metal thickness of 1/2", a weld size of 3/16" is the minimum.

AWS D1.1 (2010)
IMG_8612.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG (54.27 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

AWS D14.4 (2012)
IMG_8613.JPG
IMG_8613.JPG (45.69 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

<< Regardless of the above discussed minimums, your blueprint ultimately controls your weld size. 1/2" in your case. >>

Having discussed the minimum sizing of fillet welds, an over-allowance (reinforcement) in the fillet weld is permissible. The designer drives this over-allowance, and the welder controls during the process. Professionally, do not like the term "reinforcement" in this application as the added metal does nothing to add strength to a given weld. Perhaps the AWS controlling committees will excise the word and just use "over-allowance".

** The above tables are not idealized for Fatigue related applications, where stress range and stress categories need to be determined/applied. If you are interested in learning more about Fatigue applications for welding, Then encourage you to explore AISC 360, Appendix 3. The ref is online for free.**

"Fatigue is the result of repeated plastic deformation" (Omer W. Blodgett)

"Fatigue damage of components subjected to normally elastic stress fluctuations occurs at regions of stress/strain risers were localized stress exceeds the yield stress of the material. After a certain number of load fluctuations, the accumulated damage causes the initiation and subsequent propagation of a crack, or cracks, in the plastically damaged regions." (Barsom and Rolfe)
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

does "over alliance " refer to the leg or the throat or both?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:does "over alliance " refer to the leg or the throat or both?
craig
The Reinforcement, in the Fillet joint diagram, is the volume of material subtended by the dotted line (Toe to Toe) to the apex of the Face. None of that added filler material does anything to the strength of the weld. Similarly in the Groove joint diagram, the Reinforcement is the filler volume from the dotted line (Toe to Toe) to the apex of the Face. Again, no gain from fusing this added material to the weld Face.

AWS D1.1 specifies a maximum of 1/8in of "Reinforcement" for Groove welds.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
TheBeardedWelder
    Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am

Ok.. I think i got it. That chart shows a range of thicknesses and the min weld is within that range... Sounds almost tooo easy..

TheBeardedWelder wrote:Ok.. I think i got it. That chart shows a range of thicknesses and the min weld is within that range... Sounds almost tooo easy..
8-)