Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

At what length do you stop using your filler wire? Do you throw it away?? What do you do with it?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

For me it is as much as I can without burning my hands. Usually around 1-2" at the most. I usually just scrap the ends because all I use is basic filler-4043,308L, and ER-70s6. Some guys will take and reeled the nubs together to make a full piece of filler if it is expensive stuff like titanium filler
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks for the reply. I stop at 6", hard to feed constantly. So I store my rods in an 1 1/4" PVC 3 ft. tube like Jody; so when you have a piece that's around 24" where do you store it? If you put it back in your 3 ft tubes you lose it and have hard time fishing it out. How do you folks handle this?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I use the short pieces for tacking until they are gone (1" to 2" when they get thrown out).

Unless they are still pretty long, the shorter ones go in a stand for use later.
(little pipe welded to a flat plate - like a pencil cup)

Normally are only a few in the little stand since they get used up as I build.

SMAW sticks go in one too as I build - short ones for tacks or short welds.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

My rod tubes have releasable bottom end-caps to get the stubby's out.

:mrgreen: