Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
floridaedd
    Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm new to the forum and could really use some information.
A little about me. I've play welded for years. By that I mean I'm a guy with a welder not a welder. I can weld good enough to do my own stuff but would never do anyone else's.
I have a Lincoln Pro mig 175 I used for years and I managed to short the PCB in it.
I have a Lincoln Inverted V300 pro I've only ever used for stick welding. Im now curious about using it for TIG.
Be warned my questions may be worded wrong and may have very basic answers , so please bear with me.
I have a Hi Freq 250 amp Lincoln box. Would I use this with the Invertec to control gas and spark? Or would I just hook my torch up to the Invertec and control the gas by using the knob on the torch handle? I also have an Idle arc 225 if that matters.
I have everything ,gas,touch leads ect I just lack what I assume is basic knowledge.
I do appreciate any input u guys could give me.
Thanks Edd
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

No spark box needed on invertec.

But you do need a switch or foot control to start the arc.

Or do what I did on mine, set it to stick soft, zero on dig, and scratch start the arc.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
floridaedd

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So I would set the type of welding knob to the "soft stick" setting ? Im not sure what the "dig" is. Is that the gas knob on the tourch?
I would like to get a foot control for it. Until then could I used the Hi Freq box for the pilot arc function to not have to scratch start it?
Or would I just wire the switch on my touch to the "remote" plug on the back,once I get a plug for it?

Looking on Ebay at pedals , I assume that I can wire the appropriate plug to fit my Invertec? It has a multi pin type of receptical and none of the pedals I can find have the multi pin plug.

So after posting this the light came on in my head and I realize just because my plug has more pin locations the plugs them selves are the same. Duh. Things like this just kill me but I'm working on it. So my thinking is a slider amp control for the touch or is there a bennifit to a pedal.

Sorry for having such a lack of knowledge,I've never been exposed to tig and as u can guess I do not know anyone who could give me a crash coarse so I'm taking baby steps to be sure I "got it", I'm a slow learner some times.

I just have to say how much I appreciate ur time
Edd
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Not all pedals are equal. Different manufacturers use different ohm resistance ranges to operate.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
floridaedd

Josh.
OK. That makes sense. Would the Lincoln pedals all work with mine or do I need to find a specific one? Also I'm seeing slide amp controls and I'm wondering which is preferable and again would I have to match it to my welder or is a 6 pin Lincoln plug good?

Thank you
Edd

floridaedd wrote:Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So I would set the type of welding knob to the "soft stick" setting ? Im not sure what the "dig" is. Is that the gas knob on the tourch?
I would like to get a foot control for it. Until then could I used the Hi Freq box for the pilot arc function to not have to scratch start it?
Or would I just wire the switch on my touch to the "remote" plug on the back,once I get a plug for it?

Looking on Ebay at pedals , I assume that I can wire the appropriate plug to fit my Invertec? It has a multi pin type of receptical and none of the pedals I can find have the multi pin plug.

So after posting this the light came on in my head and I realize just because my plug has more pin locations the plugs them selves are the same. Duh. Things like this just kill me but I'm working on it. So my thinking is a slider amp control for the touch or is there a bennifit to a pedal.

Sorry for having such a lack of knowledge,I've never been exposed to tig and as u can guess I do not know anyone who could give me a crash coarse so I'm taking baby steps to be sure I "got it", I'm a slow learner some times.

I just have to say how much I appreciate ur time
Edd
"SMAW soft" setting worked well for me.
Output to "on"
Amperage to "local" or "panel" (not "remote")
Arc Force to lowest setting (1 or zero)
Use the gas knob on your torch.

I wouldn't use the High Freq spark box on your machine, it's not needed.

Get a Lincoln compatible foot control with the number of pins you have on your machine (it's in your manual) and you won't have to do the above.

SSC Foot Controls makes one for most models, including yours.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308

I personally prefer torch mounted amp controls. But I do very little bench work where it would be comfortable to use a foot pedal. And if the control is mounted to the torch I only have one thing to drag around. Most of my torch mounted controls are just Velcro strapped on. So they can be rotated or taken off and run with the other hand if need be.

Josh
floridaedd

Thank you so much. I now have enough of an understanding to feel comfortable moving forward. I have everything hooked up and ready to give it a shot latter today. The last thing I wanted to do was use my "false knowledge" fuled by over confidance and ruin something.
I tend to float around with my welding projects so a torch mounted switch will work best for me I'm thinking.
I have several sharp electrodes so I can at least give it a shot but will need to get a sharpener and a control.

So I have had everything sitting around here for years and without you guys it would have sat for many more.

I enjoy reading through all the posts although I can admit most of it is way above my head.
I look forward to being an active member not just some fly by night hit and run poster,although I'm not sure what I could contribute.

I will post my results.

Thanks a million
Edd
floridaedd

So I got the hang of it. I burned up a few electrodes until I switched the positive and negative lead. I was able to move the puddle around and attempted a few beads with mixed results partially due to the fact my ss welding rod was about as thick as what I was welding to.
Also I sharpened my electrodes on my standard old grinder. I know that will contaminate it but I was anxious to keep practicing.
So back to YouTube to watch the next part in a Tig series I'm watching. Step one was moving the puddle so I will practice that some more as well.
Thank you. I know I say that a bunch but it's genuine.
Edd

floridaedd wrote:So I got the hang of it. I burned up a few electrodes until I switched the positive and negative lead. I was able to move the puddle around and attempted a few beads with mixed results partially due to the fact my ss welding rod was about as thick as what I was welding to.
Also I sharpened my electrodes on my standard old grinder. I know that will contaminate it but I was anxious to keep practicing.
So back to YouTube to watch the next part in a Tig series I'm watching. Step one was moving the puddle so I will practice that some more as well.
Thank you. I know I say that a bunch but it's genuine.
Edd
Good deal man - tig is the bomb :D

I wouldn't worry about sharpening tungsten on your grinder or belt sander - I do it all the time and experience no real issues with it.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308

Same here I use my regular bench grinder. But I have a second one I use for greasy junk, because that will cause issues.

Josh