Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cwarne10
    Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 am

So I have a guy that has a wood burning stove and the latch that the door locks to is broken. I have some pictures but i am going to check it out today. I am just seeing if anyone has a a specific rod to use. Would silicon bronze work? I am going to be tig welding it because it is in his house. Not really wanting to throw sparks all over his carpet.

Just figuring out what rod to use.

Thanks

Cole
Not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depends on the part your welding. If it’s steel or even forged steel then just use 70s2. If it’s cast then sil bronze would be an option.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cwarne10
    Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 am

Its the latch where the door locks on to. I dont think silicon bronze will hold up to that.
Not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

cwarne10 wrote:Its the latch where the door locks on to. I dont think silicon bronze will hold up to that.
SiB, used right, approaches welded steel strength. It's also probably your only option on a wood stove that has ever been used. Usually the steel/iron gets so much cr@p in it after it's been used to burn wood that you'll have a devil of a time welding it with any process, let alone tig. SiB filler and an O/A torch would be my first choice.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Many years ago my mother bought an antique cast iron parlor stove. The very ornate back panel was cracked in a pattern surrounding a series of arches. The w shaped crack ran all the way across the stove. I found cast iron filler. It is short 10"? pieces of 1/4" diameter cast iron. I welded with an acetylene torch. I'd weld an inch, then tap extensively with a pointy chipping hammer to relieve stress until no longer red hot. Then I'd weld a bit more.

It's 45 years later. The stove held, and my parents used it in their living room perhaps 20 years, until they changed to a more efficient stove.

Willie